Eijun, Meet Eijun

A particular face draws my attention and it's me. The past me.

Things go dramatically slow, like the way they do in movies.

Everyone notices my diverted attention and look behind themselves to see Eijun.

Eijun stares at me, shock apparent on his younger features.

He comes forward, almost as if in a trance. He stops in front of me.

I hold out my hand saying, "Hello, Eijun. I'm you from the future."

A voice from the gathered crowd goes, "oh, snap!" and everyone chuckles hearing that. I smile warmly at him--me--trying not to frighten him, no, me.

Ugh! I'll just be seperate with the past me so as to not confuse myself.

Eijun brings his hand up to shake mine and a jolt passes through the two of us. It startled everyone out of their revere.

"Wait...so, your me, but from the future?" I nod.

"Then...you know who wins Koshien, right?" I hesitate before nodding again.

Eijun looks at me expectantly and I can now see how childish I truly was. I set a firm expression on my face before replying. "I can't say anything about that."

"Why?"

"...it'll change the course of history as, well, I know it."

"What, are you afraid if you tell us then someone else will win and you won't be where you are today--well, in your today?" Mei asks this.

I shake my head no. "That's not it; if I tell you too much of the future, then who knows what will happen in my time...there're people I care about and if I say too much, then that could be jeopardized. And not just the people I care about, but it'll change everyone else's future as well, and probably not for the better. I suggest you just wait to find out who wins."

Mei looks peeved, but I could care less.

"Wow, you're not so much of an idiot in the future, are ya?" Miyuki says.

"I completely forget how annoying you were, Kazuya."

Miyuki cocks his head to the side. "Since when did you start addressing your senior so casually? Disrespectful brat."

"I'm no brat, Miyuki-senpai. I'm 22 now, so you should address your elder with respect, as you just said, brat. That, and we became closer after..."

I was about to metion how we became rivals on different teams before we became lovers, but I trail off before I can finish.

Everyone starts "wooing" after I say that like we're a bunch of kids about to duke it out on each other.

Miyuki cocks an eyebrow in question, but I begin speaking to Raichi about college life.

Kataoka and the other coaches are off to the side, talking about me most likely. I finish my bowl of rice, which is only a quarter of what I usually eat, but all this attention doesn't help my appetite, so I stand up to go put my tray away.

Haruichi and Furuya accompany me back to Kataoka's office, and I leave the murmuring crowd to their own thoughts. 'There's no possible way I could've made this any more dramatic,' I think.

Haruichi and Furuya stay with me, asking if I need anything before leaving me.

***********************************************************

The next morning, I wake up to find the teams out gathered into uniform lines. I can't hear what they're saying, but probably something to do with "fairness" and "it's not about winning, but the experience" stuff.

I dress in the same clothes I wore last night since I didn't do much in them, therefore they're still clean. Perfect logic.

I slip on my cleats before walking out to the field. I stand with the teams' managers just off to the side of the coaches. I look over to see Miyuki looking at me strangely. 'Crap. I slipped up yesterday; gotta be more careful about what I say to him from now on.'

The teams seperate to A field and B field, preparing for the first matches of the day. It's Ichidaisan vs Inashirou and Seidou vs Yakushi. The first pair of teams immediately head off toward A field.

Since Seidou's B team was negligent in their cleaning duties last night, the morning is spent cleaning up B field. By the time the first game reaches their 5th inning, the second match begins.

Kataoka has me be scorekeeper for the second match since I've nothing else to do and because I'm tall enoough to reach the scoreboard. The game comes into the top of the 3rd inning with Seidou leading by a slim margine of 2-1.

So far, the first match ended with Ichidaisan winning 6-4 against Inashirou.

The B field has the old-fashioned scoreboard where you have to physically change it yourself instead of simply hitting a button, but now I've got one of the best seats in the house. Another point for Yakushi; the game is tied.

'Man, seeing everyone play, I want to get out there and start pitching...'

I'm lazily swinging my left leg off the side of the scoreboard while I'm leaning against my left. Maezono had just swung hit bat, striking out and the Yakushi players took to the dugout, preparing to bat when The first game teams arrive to watch the progression of the second match.

'Weird being back in time and watching this all over again,' I think nostalgically. I'm so lost in my inner thoughts that when Raichi took the plate and hit what looks to be a homer, but instead shoots traight toward the scoreboard, I'm hit in the ribs with the quickly-traveing hard ball.

It knocks the wind out of me, for sure, but it doesn't do much damage. A large bruise a most, maybe even some bruised ribs.

The game is paused, however, when they see their scorekeeper down for the count. My vision blurs yet again, and I notice Raichi directly below me with half his team looking worriedly at me.

Really...it makes me laugh!

Despite the hit, I can't help the laugh that comes out of me. Raichi is paler than milk right now.

"Ahahaha! You got me good, Rai-chan!" 'Aw, crap. Not another slip!'

The nickname pulls him out of his funk enough to ask why I called him that.

"Well, you see," I pause, jumping down from the scoreboard before continuing, "we're on the same team in the future...and you've hit me like that too many times to count, so I'm used to it. Don't worry, I'm fine!" I add with my trademark smile.

Raichi seems a bit relieved before what I said fully hits home like his homers. "Hold up, that means..."

I nod in confirmation.

Raichi picks me up and starts going in circles, laughinh maniacilly the whole time. Sanada sweat drops at this.

I pat Raichi's arm to signal I want down and he complies. "That's so cool! We'll be teammates; nakama!"

"Yep."

Kataoka runs up then, concern on his face. I wave him off, but he seems suspicious.

The game continues and in the end, just like how I remember it, Seidou won 3-2. My past self, Eijun, only played in two innings because Kataoka want him to be at his fullest for Koshien within the next month.

Meanwhile, Miyuki continues to watch me carefully.