Part 5

February 14, 2016

"Happy Valentine's Day." Michael blushed profoundly as he handed me a teddy bear that held a card and a small black box. "The teddy is so cliché, I know, but um, I thought I'd get it anyways." "Shut your mouth, man. I love the teddy." I mumbled as I grabbed the gifts from him and got on my toes to reward him with a kiss, but he backed off with a nervous laugh. "Check the gifts first. Maybe you'll hate me afterwards." "Why would I-" "Just open them." He seemed uneasy, as if he gifted me something that he wasn't sure I liked. Taking the box, I expected some jewellery, maybe a necklace. I didn't expect the shiny key that laid in the box, held by a small black ribbon. Voice stuck in my throat, I reached for the card in hopes of explanation. And there was. A few lines of his messy handwriting, black ink on white paper, a few smudges where he'd accidentally spilled some of the ink. My eyes traveled to the first line, and I began reading.

Kitten,
not a single person has ever made me as happy as you do every single day. I'm not great with emotions and all, but bear with me please. The key you're most likely holding in your hands now, is a key to my flat. You've been to my place, you know where it is.
I want my home to be yours. I want to wake up and fall asleep with you next to me each day. I want to be all you want.
I love you,
Mikey

Tears overflowed my eyes as I lowered the card and pressed the key to my heart. "Oh Mikey." Throwing myself into his waiting arms, I hid my face at his neck as I held on to him. "Thank you, thank you so much baby. I didn't expect anything like that at all, I - I don't know what to say. We said no gifts." He chuckled as he gently forced me to look up at him, cupping my face. "It's not really a gift. I just needed an opportunity to give you the key. And what better day than Valentine's Day." Wiping away some of my tears, he smiled at me. "No more crying. I need one more answer though. Do you want to move in with me? Otherwise I'll have to call Dean and tell him we don't need help." "You fucking idiot. Of course I want to move in with you." "Good." He whispered, pushing me towards his bedroom as his lips attacked mine again mercilessly, having my knees go weak. My back meeting the wooden door that hid his bedroom, I was about to open it as my phone started ringing. Ellie's ringtone.
Michael pulled away with a sigh, pecking my cheek as he waved me off to go answer the call. "It's Ellie. Don't leave her hanging."

Plopping down on the large couch in the living room, I replied to her. "Heya best friend. What's up?" "Can- can I crash with you tonight?" I immediately sat up, her shaking voice a clear indicator that something was terribly wrong. "Ellie what happened?" "Harry and I, we, we fought again, and I just can't stay here. Fuck there's so much I need to tell you. Are you at Michael's?" "Yes, just come by." "Is that okay for him?" "Ellie, just come here."

Opening the door as I heard her on the stairs, I pull my best friend into my arms as soon as she steps through the doorframe. Her usually clear green eyes are cried red and puffy, the dark circles under her eyes proof for countless sleepless nights. "Cuddle into the couch. I'll bring you some tea, okay? I'll be with you in a second baby."
Leaving her in the living room I hurry towards the kitchen where Michael is seated at his laptop, looking up as I walk in. "Is she alright?" "I don't know, but I honestly don't think so. She said she fought with Harry, and if it's this bad..." I didn't have to end my sentence, Michael knew what I meant. "If there's anything I can do, let me know." Smiling thankfully at him, I nod. "Just give her a big hug. She needs that."
Entering the living room again with two steaming cups of chamomile tea, I spot my two favourite people. Michael's back turned towards me he's leaning against the side, Ellie curled up in his lap as his arms hold her close. Setting the cups down onto the coffee table my voice is soft. "Ellie, I brought some tea. Are you ready to tell me what happened?" Lifting her head from my boyfriends chest, she nods quietly. Taking Michael's spot, I look up at him as he presses a kiss my forehead. "I'll give you two some time. You know where to find me." "Thanks baby."
"Harry and you fought?" "Yeah. It's- god it's horrible. I don't even know what to do anymore." "Has... has he been drinking again?" Her eyes dwell up again, and I quickly pull her into my arms. Bullseye, Emilia. "He's constantly drinking, and he's yelling and he's just so full of hatred. I don't know what to do about it, I've tried sitting him down and talking to him, but whenever he's coming home he's just drunk. He's aggressive, Ems. I'm scared. Every time I try to get him to talk about what's happening to him, he just screams, throwing things through the flat." I've never seen her like this. I'd seen her close to giving up, but this was worse. There was no hope left in her eyes, just exhaustion and panic. "I'm sorry, I'm so fucking sorry to hear this. Why didn't you talk to me sooner?" Ellie shrugs, her gaze travelling out of the window. "I don't know. I guess I was hoping it would fix itself, that it was just a phase. It's been going on for months. He doesn't give a damn about us anymore."