Chapter 3.

A couple of nights later and Itachi found himself returning to Imi’s house, his job now fully determined and set to be a regular thing from now on—starting tonight. But from the very moment Itachi had been told the details—when the Hokage had said he would be allowed to be Imi’s bodyguard—Itachi had never seen it as a ‘job’, per se. He had other goals than to simply carry out the mission and do what he was told. Of course he would protect and care for Imi, whether it was his duty to or not, but he had more on his mind. Itachi wanted to get to know her; to understand just who she was. From the beginning he had noted Imi was special, and his mission was only giving him the chance to find out more.

Though as he finally arrived at her house—he paused.

A shiver ran down his spine; not in a way that meant he was being watched or as if something wasn’t right, but…just unusual. It was as if, where Itachi stood now, he was hovering on the border of something. That if he continued forward and went on with what he was doing—there was no going back. It would be a new chapter; a whole original aspect of his life that could change everything. Itachi had already met Imi, had already sensed the way she was and knew there was nothing he had to be afraid of. Instead, a peculiar feeling of excitement and anticipation arose within him. Whatever was to come, Itachi was ready for it. And regardless of whether he couldn’t turn back, he didn’t care. He had made his choice, and this was it.

So as Itachi stepped forward once again, he didn’t stop to glance over his shoulder.

Making his way through the house, Itachi eventually arrived at Imi’s room, seeing her curled up on her bed reading a book. Turning to look at him, he was glad to see a smile pass over her face, a glimmer of happiness slipping from her eyes, his own countenance a reflection of that feeling. She had thought about Itachi after that night, wondering what he had perceived the whole situation to be—especially after his friend had come in and taken him away. So many others had met her and she had felt their presences draw away; as if their auras were retreating into a shell to protect themselves. They mistrusted her; thought she was weird—but Itachi had been different. Imi had known from the start, and even as they spoke he had never withdrawn. His aura was pure in a way Imi had never known, and she could sense their connection.

But when she had said what she had—seen the look in his eyes in return—she hadn’t been sure how things would go next. She couldn’t help the way she was; her abilities…they were automatic, and Itachi was so…fey. So pure and almost ethereal, in a sense. The images and feelings merely materialized into Imi’s mind whether she wanted them to or not. And with the connection she felt…telling him this hadn’t seemed like such a bad idea. But he hadn’t responded; looked confused and utterly surprised. There hadn’t even been a chance for Imi to say anything else or try to explain when Itachi had disappeared, and she had begun to think that his opinion on her had become like everyone else’s.

Then he had appeared. After trying to sense his presence for the next couple of nights and never finding him, Imi had gathered Itachi had been put on another mission. And yet here he was, in the flesh and looking glad to see her. She couldn’t hide a smile as she sensed no distance in his aura. He wasn’t trying to dismiss her. Itachi wanted to be there, and during a time when Imi had lost the people she loved and the only people she was allowed to be around were ones that appeared to all view her as odd, relief flooded over her, prompting her to place her book to the side and stand to face him, greeting softly,

“I didn’t know if you were going to come back. I know I said what I did, and that your friend…”

But Itachi cut in, shaking his head,

“And I know how you must feel with some of the others acting like he did. I apologise on their behalf. I never agreed with him—what you said wasn’t an insult, Imi. It was…intriguing. What exactly can you tell?”

She paused as she considered her answer to Itachi's question, before questioning hesitantly in return,

“Do you have the time for me to tell you?”

It was now the smile faded from her lips; she glanced down and ran her fingers slowly over the fabric of her clothes. Itachi knew immediately what was wrong; she didn’t want to lose someone again. To agree to become friends with him…only for someone to turn up just like last time and drag him away. But this time was different. It caused a smirk to appear on Itachi's face as he replied nonchalantly,

“As I’m now your personal bodyguard until the threat against you passes…I’d say I do.”

Instantaneously Imi’s gaze returned to Itachi's, piercing through everything on the surface and seemingly hitting him dead centre. That same intense, perceptive look he had noted in their first meeting was back and stronger than ever, and it caught him out a little, unable to look away. Without asking Itachi understood Imi saw straight through him—knew that he had asked for this to happen, rather than it being ‘merely coincidence’—so he didn’t bother to explain anything. She already knew the truth; what was there to say?

But Imi herself wasn’t entirely sure how to respond. She could sense with his words that it had been Itachi's choice…but knowing that fact didn’t make it any easier to talk. He had made the effort to ask the Hokage to put him as her guard; whereas many ANBU had done what they could to get off duty, Itachi had done whatever was necessary to get closer. So he could once again approach her and that they could talk. Regardless of her situation—whether her family had been killed or not—that would be important. The whole sensation was new to her. From a young age, no one had ever been quite sure how to handle Imi. As if they had to treat and handle her differently from everyone else. Sometimes it had felt like a curse…yet as she looked at Itachi she realised that others viewed it as a gift.

“If you have time, Itachi-san…you might as well sit down, then.”

Nodding in acceptance, he joined her on the bed, though for a moment there was silence. They both knew they were going to become friends; knew they shared a connection, but it was almost the idea of what was to come that halted them. Itachi glanced up at Imi once more, her amber eyes seemingly glowing of their own accord, and began to repeat his earlier question—this time, however, Imi was more than willing to answer. As she did, a feeling fluttered over her—almost overwhelming, with feelings, images and senses washing over her and her mind, in a similar way to how things had been before her family had been killed. She had sensed a big change; knew something wasn’t right. Only this was different. This was a good feeling. Whatever was to come…

It would only be welcome.