Chapter 3

I woke up on the couch, tucked under a blanket. I debated on just staying home today I was so comfortable. I decided against it and went up to my room to get my clothes for school today. The room still smelt of paint but it wasn't as bad. I put on some ripped Hollister skinny jeans, white high top converse, and a plain grey t-shirt. I went to the bathroom to put my makeup on. When I looked in the mirror I saw the bruise on my cheek. It was tender and hurt to touch. It was black and blue on the cheekbone which sucked because that will be hard to cover up. I did the best I could but the bruise was still visible. Veronica said she'd take me to school today so I didn't have to walk. I left my hair down because I was too lazy to do anything with it. I walked down the stairs, grabbed my backpack, and ran out of the door. I saw Veronica's car outside and I got in. We drove to school and walked in together.

"So?" Veronica asked as we passed the popular girls and jocks to our lockers.

"So..." I said back to her, confused as to why she said that.

"You and Jace? Are you a couple now?" Veronica asked.

"What?! No! He just let me stay at his place because I was drunk. That's it!" I said back to her.

The bell rung.

"Bye." We said to each other and walked to class.

I walked in and sat down. I noticed the guys were staring at me while drooling and the girls were glaring at me. I pulled out my math notebook when a hand was on my desk. I looked up to see Jace.

"Hey. You're pretty hot. Do you want to sit with us at lunch." Jace said as if he didn't remember me at all. I frowned, but accepted the offer.

He sat down next to me and started acting like all the other idiot boys in this class. I rolled my eyes at him and saw him frown in the corner of my eye.

I was sitting in third period, bored out of my mind because Mrs. Williams is the most boring history teacher ever. I felt a pair of eyes staring at me. I looked around until I saw Mackenzie glaring at me. Mackenzie was queen bee at this school. She had red hair and always wore red lipstick. She was very cocky and she got jealous easily. However she was a total wimp. Her friends did all of her dirty work.

I turned my head quickly so I was t making eye contact with her but I still felt her eyes on me. The bell rang and it was time for lunch. I walked out of the classroom and started down the hallway. I heard the sound of clicking heels behind me and knew it was Mackenzie. It turned around and before I could say anything I was pushed into the lockers forcefully. Mackenzie has pushed against the lockers and hissed,

"Stay away from Jace, he's mine." She backed up. I had changed my clothes and room so why not the attitude as well.

" Well I didn't see your name taped to him so I guess he's not." I replied. I smirked and walked away. I was about to turn the corner to the cafeteria when a hand flew over my mouth and I was dragged outside. I got free from his grip and stumbled back. I was behind the bleachers with.. Adam?

"What the hell dude!!" I exclaimed. "You can't just drag people outside you know." I added.

"I know but I knew you would never talk to me willingly." Adam replied. I was against a wall so I couldn't really go anywhere.

"What do you want Adam?" I asked him, well more like demanded. I was hungry.

"I wanted to know if you would consider going out with me Friday night?" Adam said.

"Where?" I asked suspiciously.

"We could see a movie?" He suggested.

"Oh okay." I said. "So why would a guy like you be interested in a girl like me?" I asked. He started to walk close to me.

"Why wouldn't a guy be interested in you." He responded, smiling. He leaned his forearms against the wall next to me, leaning close like he wanted to kiss me. I wanted to pull away, luckily the sound of the door opening made Adam pull back to a normal length again. Jace walked out.

"Hey Ada.." He started but stopped when he saw us.

"Oh sorry man." He said and started to walk back inside.

"It's okay man, we were just finishing up our conversation, right Clary?" Adam said.

I noticed Jace tense up when Adam said my name. Maybe he did remember and just didn't want to admit it.

"Ye.. Yeah." I said. I ran back inside and to the cafeteria. I was so confused. Why was Adam Scott AND Jace Wayland interested in me.

The bell rang and I headed to class. After a long day I went home. I avoided Jace and Adam the rest of the day. I was walking down the sidewalk when I heard someone come up behind me. I turned around and saw Jace jogging up behind me.

"Hey. You seemed pretty startled today at lunch. You okay?" He asked.

"Uh.. Yeah I'm fine, just lots of tests and stuff." I replied. He eyed me suspiciously.

"Let me walk you home then." Jace said. I nodded and we kept going.

"So today in math, why did you pretend you didn't know me." I asked him.

"I don't know." He replied. I frowned at him. We walked up to my front door and he turned to me.

"Listen, I hope we can be friends." Jace said.

"I would really like that." I said smiling. I figured I'd just let the whole math thing go I mean who wants to keep a grudge anyways. He smiled and walked away.