Chapter 1: Goodbye and Hello

Our story begins in the beautiful spanish speaking Puerto Rico in the North-Eastern Caribbean ocean. Poverty had reached an all time high and the natives had started searching in neighboring countries for jobs to support their families. Bernardo was a young man that had just reached adulthood. He wanted to be able to provide for his family so much the he was willing to move to America to do so. Now him, his girlfriend Anita (who was the same age as Bernardo) and the rest of his family are standing in front of the boarding zone on the docks saying goodbye to each other.

"Madre, it will be alright. Anita and I will go to America, get ourselves a good job and then you and papa can come over there with Maria and live with us. Many of our friends have recently moved there and I feel certain we could get great jobs," Bernardo says assertively but hopeful as he holds both of his mothers hands to reassure her.

"Pero Bernardo, I just don't want you to get hurt. You know what they say about America... There is too much violence and gangs and drugs, it can be very dangerous," his mother says worried and on the brink of tears because she never thought she would have to see her child move so far away.

"Anita and I are adults and Maria will also be one soon, we will be alright," Bernardo states as he looks lovingly towards Anita.

"M'ijo, I will always be worried about you no matter how old you become. You are always mi pequeño," his mother says sadly.

"Si madre, I know. "

"Maria, mi hermana, I am going to miss you so much," Bernardo says as he hugs his baby sister tightly.

"Ay Bernardo! We will see each other in a few month and I will be alright until then," Maria says as she reciprocates the hug.

"I know but it will be hard not to be able to keep you safe," Bernardo says as he pulls away from the hug and looks at his sister for the last time before leaving.

Maria just smiles back at Bernardo as he and Anita walk on to the boat that was filled to the brim with people waiting to pursuit their American dreams.

---

"Mira Bernardo, the statue of liberty!" Anita says in awe.

When pull up to the dock in New York city they notice how different it was from San Juan and they almost went into cultural shock. The tall sturdy buildings were much different from the San Juan beaches and tree rich area. As they looked over the city they got a look of hope in their eyes and were sure that it would be a great place to live.

As they step off the boat they are greeted by some of their friends from Puerto Rico, there was Consuelo who went to school with Anita back in San Juan, and Pepe and Indio who were good friends with Bernardo.

"Anita, it is so nice to see you," Consuelo says as she rushes towards Anita to hug her, they exchange some greetings while Pepe and Indio greet Bernardo.

"Bernardo, it is so nice that your here. We have already got you a job as a construction worker and you and Anita can stay with us until you find an apartment," Pepe says as he friendly pats Bernardo on the back.

"Si y Anita, I got you a job sewing at Madame Lucia's bridal shop. You'll be working with Rosalia and I there," Consuelo says as she hugs Anita again in excitement.

"I think were gonna have a great time here don't you think?" Anita ask Bernardo.

"Si, a wonderful time," Bernardo says as they all walk away from the boat and towards the big city.