My Last Visit

My Last Visit,

Chapter One 

   I slowly walked down the hallway of the school, I heard my heartbeat echo in my chest with a loud, bahdumbahdum.  I felt drops of sweat stream down my forehead, falling past my eyes onto the floor. My back, also covered in sweat, felt heavy as I nervously opened the door to the school’s nurses office. I entered, making sure to close the door behind me softly.

“S-Sorry for the intrusion.” my voiced wavered, failing to enter the room.

I heard the rolling of a chair in the room to my right. I walked over, poking my head around the corner into a short hallway. I saw two doors on either side. One open and the other closed, with a small amount of light penetrating the darkness of the hallway. I took a momentary breath and mustered up the courage to continue.  

I quietly crept along the right side of the wall toward one of the closed door. When I finally reached it I peered in from the window, trying my best to show as little of myself as possible. Inside I saw a man with long black hair tied into a ponytail and unkempt face. He wore a plain white button up shirt, black khakis, and brown leather shoes.

He seemed to be busy reading a small book that was held in his hand. I could barely make out the title with my vision starting to slowly blur, “So you wanna be a doctor?”. I let out a slight giggle and with that came a sharp pain from my chest. I clutched the center of my chest with both hands as I fell to the floor, banging my head against the steel frame that held the wooden door.

I felt the cold floor as it touched my cheek. It felt nice against my feverish skin. Looking down toward my stomach I saw a small pool of red had started to form. Its warmth felt soothing as it seeped through my jacket and shorts. My eyes grew heavy, the sound of my heart now starting to fade to a soft beat. I closed my eyes, my body growing exhausted.

Again, I heard the sound of a chair rolling against the floor, followed by frantic footsteps toward the door I lay in front of. The door in front of me opened, and I turned my gaze upward, my vision now gone. I felt my body being lifted up into the arms of the nurse. He called out to me. I smiled, taking one last breath. My body falling limp.