Imagination With a Slight Scent of Bread

Imagination With the Slight Scent of Bread,  

Chapter Three

  The cool Spring breeze carried my hair as I sat atop of the roof of the hospital. Ever since I was admitted every chance I had I took the time to sneak away up here. The feeling of getting away from the staff was nice. So there I sat with my back against the entrance, relaxing as the sun bared down on my now fair skin. I smiled, breathing in the fresh air as it came my way.

I imagined myself in large field filled with various flowers, grazing animals, and the smell of freshly baked bread. 

“Bread?” I thought, “Why do I smell bread?”

My eyes flung open and right in front of me was a piece of steaming hot bread. The smell brushed up against the entrance of my nostrils, filling them with the sweet smell of honey. I looked up to see who was holding it, my hair limiting my sight as it covered my face.

At first I thought the person was a boy, but as I looked again her figure was clearly feminine. Her face appeared soft, fragile. She had light green eyes with glasses that went well with her long hair, that was braided into one long weave that fell along the left side of her head. She smiled softly, still offering the bread.

I kindly accepted, thanking her with a smile back.

“It’s a nice morning, don’t you think?” she said, sitting down next to me, patting down her long skirt.

“Yeah.” I replied, biting into the bread to find that it was filled with cream. I placed my hand over my lips in surprise. Looking over toward the girl, finding that she was still smiling at me.

I couldn’t resist the temptation and started to laugh.

“That was a surprise!” I chuckled.

I quickly finished the cream filled bread piece and stood up to stretch, placing one hand on my arm and raising it with a, “Hmmm!

“So,” I said turning to face the girl, “your name?” I asked.

The looked up to face me, her sweet face calming me, “Serah, my name is Serah Kingsley.” she replied, positioning herself to get up.

I instinctively offered my hand out. Noticing this she grabbed it and I helped lift her up. To my astonishment she was incredibly light. My back still in pain, I was somewhat relieved, but still shocked. She started to brush off her rear.  

I started to grow more and more curious about this girl who stood in front of me, gazing out toward the sky, her hands held behind her waist. Everything about her was so elegant. I found myself admiring her beauty after each passing minute. I guess she noticed me staring and cocked her head, her smile never fading.

My cheeks grew hot. I looked away, embarrassed. As I did, I heard a soft giggle.

“You still haven’t told me your name.” Serah asked.

Again I turned to face her, my face feeling hotter.

I fidgeted, “Reiza Maxwell.”

“Well then, Reiza Maxwell.” Serah took out her hand, placing it in front of me, “Let’s be friends.”

It felt like my body shot upward. Happily I took her hand. The soft gentle touch of her hand warming my body. Yet, something was off. I felt a tight tremor in the air. A feeling of pain racing down my spine.

I tried to maintain my composure, but I guess I had failed. I found myself looking at Serah, her face now attentive with worry. Like she knew what was happening to me.  

I fell forward, unable to stand through the pain anymore. I found myself being held by my new friend. We slumped to the floor, my head rubbed by her gentle touch.

Tears eased their way out of my eyes as we sat there awkwardly. For what was minutes seemed like hours as I was held there, my face buried in her arms. The pain now subsiding, I sat up, raising my legs to lean into as I continued to cry.

Serah remained quiet during all of this. I felt even more embarrassed than before. Having someone you just met watch you in such a sorry state.

I soon was helped to my room. The doctors examining my current state. I kept insisting that I was fine, that the pain was gone, but they just kept doing their experiments. Checking my pulse, blood pressure, running me through a CT scan.

When it finally was all over, my eyes had grown heavy. I was about to fall asleep when I again smelt the scent of the bread I had before. I opened my eyes, glancing over toward the doorway of my room. In it stood Serah, a piece of bread in her hand.