Chapter 2

The next few days consisted of many phone calls and visitors to the house. I knew that selling the house wouldn’t be a major problem as it was one of the most beautiful houses I’d ever seen. My father used to joke with me when I was little about how one day we’d live in a big house with a pool and whatnot but now, none of those things mattered. Packing wasn’t a problem for me as I didn’t own many things. Just my clothes, books and some photographs. Unlike many teenagers, I didn’t own a laptop or a phone. I didn’t have anyone to call or text so I never saw the point.

The house was sold to a young couple with a small child around three. They seemed like lovely people and were very excited to move in, almost as excited as I was to move out. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders when I looked at that place for the very last time. I'm not going to lie, I was quite nervous about moving. I told Cheryl that if I didn't like it, she had to promise me to move back to America. She promised but assured me that there was no way I’d want to come back. I was going to live with 3 people who I’d never even met before. Cheryl’s sister, Carol, her husband, Harry and their son Michael. According to Cheryl, they lived in a fabulous house near Palm Beach in the north of Sydney. The word beach alone made me happy because I loved them and living in Texas my whole life, we never got to go that often.

Now that the house was sold and all my stuff was packed away the last thing to do was say goodbye. Cheryl and I walked to the graveyard to what we knew would be the very last time. We stood side by side at my mother and father’s graves. I put my head down and mumbled a few words to myself. Cheryl did the same and when we were done she hugged me tight. I followed the path up to the headstone and kissed it, a single tear falling from my face.

‘’Goodbye’’, I whispered, my voice shaking.

I returned to Cheryl who put her arm around me and I nodded, indicating that I was ready to leave.

We walked back to the house, not saying a single word to each other. I wasn't in the mood for talking, anyway. When we got back, we carried our bags out to the car. 4 in total, not many for two women travelling with their whole wardrobe. Cheryl checked she had everything: boarding passes, passports, handbag and her sunglasses. She closed the door and I got into the passenger side of the car. That was it, no turning back now. I pulled out one of the many books in my backpack, put my head back and began to read. The car ride to the airport would be long but at least I had Katniss Everdeen to keep me company.