Dreaming of the Whites

I could make out a woman, her porcelain skin lightened by the reflective snow.

She was enchanting, as she worked the spinning wheel. But when her finger pricked the top and broke her concentration, she winced and made her way to the window, her white gown flowing behind her.

The window would not have been significant; if it weren't for the ebony wood that held the glass panneling. Out the window her hands rushed, and the blood dropped onto the white snow that covered the land.

As she went and fetched her husband to see such a beautiful difference, the woman pondered aloud.

"How can something so beautiful, be so plain? The light from this snow hurts my eyes, but the contrast is too beautiful to spare my vision. I could only hope to have my child be as beautiful was this; lips the color of blood, hair as ebony as this dark window. Then it would only seem fitting to have her skin be as beautiful as this cold blanket." The woman looked down at her own stomache, that looked as if it were protecting a bae.

When the room grew into a small girl's, I still was glancing outside the window, but I could move. A mirror on the wall told me I was that girl. I admired the dark locks that cascaded with a perfect harmony, the pale skin, and the full crimson lips, but the bright blue eyes that stared back at me were immensely sad, and the pure color of blue ice they held forced me to look away and down at the floor. When I looked down, my eyes landed in my lap. I was seated on the dark ebony planks of the chamber floor.

A knock came from behind me and I turned. A man dressed for the role of a doctor looked at me with a long face.

"She has passed. Though you'll be content to know it was with peace. No pain was caused to her." I nodded at the Doctor's words. Everything in front of me was oddly familiar, and that's when it hit me.

"Snow," the Doctor spoke again, and I realized what I was dreaming about; very lucidly might I add. The Doctor continued.

"Your father requests your aquaintence." Snow. Snow White. I stood and followed the Doctor out of the room to the parent's chambers.

"My dearest Snow," A well-dressed man, whom I could only assume was Snow's--or currently my--father, looked up at me. "Come, we are to leave this castle and travel to warmer lands. You are soon to be meeting courters, you need to be trained." My head bounced up and down in response politely.

The ivory carriage's confines stared back at me and my eyes set upon the king.

"Father?" I asked for his attention. "Are you to wed again?"

"I don't know, my dear Snow. What mother would be most fitting to you, my daughter, other than your own kind-hearted one." The king answered. Despite my detachment to the queen, I felt a strong pang of hurt at the mention of her, and I stilled as I stared ahead.

"An alive one." The answer was harsh, and held the air exchanged. It wasn't my own answer, like it was meant to be said. As the inside of the carriage's sight sickened me to my very core, I chose to watch the scenery. I observed the passing by wilderness and the bare trees with their twisting bony fingers reaching out gradating into luscious bushes and fully leafed live oaks. I listened to the symphony of sounds and the crunch of the gravel as we moved slowly through the forest in our horse-powered mobile. Suddenly we were stopped by a booming voice.

"Halt in the name of the queen!" Air whisked through the trees and stirred the leaves as I attempted to see who stopped the royal carriage. As the black horses approached, I scowled. It was Eveilla. And that told me

where we were, in the Enchanted forest. I heard a woman's voice, clearer than any bell demanding the men to hold their places. Then, the left side door opened. "I should have guessed it was The White's cab by the color. It's too beautiful and elegant to be a hackney." The woman greeted. She had pure chocolate brown hair that almost seemed black. The natural color was unusual, and graced her features perfectly. A rich velvet lined her lips and encircled the pearl-white smile.