2. Flash Drive Blues

"Music expresses what cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."

~Victor Hugo

*

*

*

"When did you lose it?"

"Today."

"Where did you put it?"

"On the counter."

"Why did you put it on the counter?"

"I don't know!" I yelled, suddenly annoyed at the girl who was watching me dig through my book bag. "I needed to put it somewhere, and I didn't think anyone would move it."

Shay put her hands up as I yelled. Her widened eyes showed her surprise.

"Sorry, I was just trying to-"

"Help. Yes, I know. Do you think you could help by looking for it instead?" I asked, bringing my voice down to almost a whisper.

"Sure. I'll go look in the kitchen." She mumbled, keeping her eyes down as she swiftly turned and exited my room. I felt guilt eating at my insides.

I didn't mean to yell at Shay. She was the only person that had wanted to help me look for my stupid flash drive, and for that I was extremely grateful. She was literally one of my only friends that I felt completely comfortable with, and I felt guilty that I had snapped at her like that. I was just under so much stress that I felt like couldn't waste any time answering her simple questions.

I needed to find that flash drive, or I was going to go completely insane.

Well, more insane. My subconscious restated.

I let out a huff of breath, throwing my bag aside as I stood and crossed my arms. My increasing heartbeat and my watering eyes didn't stop until I pulled out my IPod and plugged in my music.

Settle down with me

Cover me up

Cuddle me in

Lie down with me

And hold me in your arms

And your heart's against my chest, your lips pressed to my neck

I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet

And with a feeling I'll forget, I'm in love now...

Slowly the calming lyrics and sweet voice brought me back to the point where my breathing returned to normal. I was now able to think clearly without hyperventilating, and I no longer felt as if I were going to pass out on the carpet. Everything was good.

"I'm okay." I reassured myself out loud as I pulled out my ear buds and shoved them back into my pocket. I would always be okay as long as I had my music.

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

"It's obviously not in your house." Shay said, looking around at the mess we had created in my once tidy apartment. We went through every room; pulling out cushions and drawers. We even flipped my massive couch and looked under my bed.

It wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"I don't know what to do!" I groaned pitifully, folding my body down to one of the kitchen chairs. "If we can't find it I don't know what I will do."