A Silver Toyota Camry

My eyes groggily opened as I laid on the cold cement floor beneath me. I slowly sat up as the sun beamed onto the utility floor and wiped the crust from my eyes. Graduation day. Except, I wasn't graduating. Ira was though. But today was the day, today I get to see Ira.
I grabbed my new sweatshirt and wrapped it around me. I was cold from the floor and my back hurt from the lack of a mattress.
I stumbled over to the things I had bought the night before and laid them out in front of me.
The Tourists Map of America, auburn hair dye, colorful gel pens, Vaseline, and smiley face stickers were spread out in front of me. I opened the map book to the first page.

Table of Contents:
1) Introduction 1-2
2) Political Map of America 3-4
3) Geographical Map of America 5-6
4) Maps of the States and Major Cities

The book went on to tell which pages had which states and cities but I skimmed through that until I found what I was looking for.

Alabama 7
Montgomery 8

I grabbed a purple smiley face sticker and stuck it over Montgomery on the Alabama map. I went back to page three and put another purple smiley face sticker on Alabama.
I was going to travel the country. It started here, where it ends, I don't know. Why not enjoy yourself a little when you're on the run.
Next, I grabbed the hair dye, I didn't want to be recognized.
I rubbed Vaseline on my forehead and ears before applying the dye. I opened the box of hair dye and took all the supplies out. The directions didn't make much sense so I put on the black gloves in the box, grabbed the dye, and rubbed it all over my dirty blonde hair. I waited an hour or so for the dye to sit and just stared out the window. I was doing more thinking than seeing.
What else do I need to pack?
What happens if I get caught?
What should I do if Ira finds out?
If Ira finds out. God. I forgot about that part. I told Ira I would explain later. I can't tell him I'm on the run. Or could I?
Maybe, I went home that day. Maybe my parents were angry. Maybe they kicked me out and left me nothing. I took a bus to Montgomery to get away. I needed to leave.
Ira could always see past my lies but maybe this time I could pull it off.
It would be hard to keep a secret but maybe one day I would be able to tell him.
I walked over to the dirty sink in the room and turned it on. Freezing cold water dripped out of it and I doubted I could get more than a minute of drips.
I stuck my head under the faucet and tried to get as much water into my hair as I could. The water shut off after about 45 seconds. I kept my head in the sink, wondering what to do next.
Why does this always happen? Idiot! Idiot, Ingrid! You should've made sure you had everything you needed before dying your hair. Why are you so stupid?
I almost screamed and stood up, but if I did that I knew I'd be found. Instead, he came back to me.
Breathe, Ingrid. Just breathe.
I took a deep breath and began to count in my head to calm down.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
Drip
17
Drop
18
Drip
19
Drop
20
Drip
Drop
Drip
Drop
Drip
Drop
Drip
Rain. It was raining outside. The rain began to pick up. It was pouring! I ran over to the window, unlocked it and took the screen out. I stuck my head out the window only to be drawn back inside because I was so high up. My heart sank as I looked at the ground lined with small people and small cars, all too far away.
I searched around and picked up a bucket stacked with others in the corner.
I stuck it out the window and waited slowly for it to fill up half way. The bucket was too heavy to fill up all the way. I grabbed another bucket and repeated the process. I poured the second bucket into the first and dunk my head in.
Icy water pierced my scalp and a chill went down my spine. I shivered feverishly from the frigid water until it slowly began to heat up.
I used my hands to squeeze some dye out and sat on the ground for twenty minutes trying to wash it all away.
When the dye was just about done leaking, I went over to the unused buckets and grabbed some clean-looking rags to wrap my hair in. I vigorously dried my hair and after awhile, grew tired and took a nap.
I woke up a few hours later and used one of my ponytails to throw my hair up into a quick bun. It looked like a mop from what I could see in the reflection on the window but I didn't care.
I threw my hood on and went out into the pouring rain. I ran from store to store, grabbing necessities.
I finally found the pay phone from the other day. I searched the ground for coins.
Dime. Penny. Dime. Nickel. Quarter. Bingo!
51¢. I put all the coins, except the penny (which I put in my pocket), into the machine and dialed Ira's cell.
Ring.
Ring.
Ring.
Ring.
"Hello," I heard Ira's voice say on the other line.
"Ira!" I exclaimed.
"Ingrid! I graduated! I did it!"
"Congrats, grad!" I shouted.
"I'm on my way to Montgomery, where should I meet you?"
"Do you have a GPS?" I asked.
"Yeah," Ira replied. I thought back to the apartment's address.
"Type in 11, 4th Street, Montgomery," I said.
"Gotcha," Ira replied, "I should be there at two o'clock."
"See you then!" I said, eagerly.
"See ya."
I hung up the phone.
I checked the clock in one of the stores...1:45 p.m.
I almost screamed out loud I was so excited. Ira was going to be here in about 15 minutes.
I went to a few more stores and stole things needed for the trip.
I walked out of the store with the bag (I stole) full of everything we would need for the trip.
I ran down the sidewalk with my hood up in the pouring rain. I was going to see Ira!
Finally I reached the apartment building to see none other than Ira's silver Toyota Camry sitting in the front.
I ran through the rain, tapped on the glass, waved, and ran inside to grab my stuff.
When I reached the utility floor I ferociously stuffed everything in my new white tote bag. I stood up and took one more look at the room.

Start.

I bounced into the elevator and into Ira's car. I threw open the door and sat down, throwing my stuff in the back. I turned my head to see a boy with short black hair, tan skin, dark brown eyes, and I giant smile.
I ran my hand through my newly auburn hair in relief. I turned to Ira.
"Say, did you get a haircut?" he joked.
"I might need one for where we're going because trust me it's hot."
"And where's that?" he questioned.
"Jacksonville, Florida."