Chapter 1

The closer I got to home the more my stomach felt queasy. I didn't want to see her again.

My heart rate increased rapidly as I took the brick steps slowly up to my front door. I could hear her in the kitchen 

As I opened the front door all the noise stopped except for my shoes squeaking on the wooden floor.

"WHERE WERE YOU!" my mother demanded.

I was standing in the kitchen now, looking down at my shoes.

"I just went out for a walk." my voice quietly answered. 

"HOW DARE YOU NOT ASK ME FIRST!" her voice floated towards me.

"I'm sorry I-" my voice broke off as she brought out the stick my bruised skin had become too accustomed to. 

"Please....."I whimpered.

She hit me with blow after blow. The pain was numbing. I knew there was nothing I could do to make her stop.

Faintly I heard the yell of our next door neighbors over my mother. She heard it too and stopped. There was nothing worse than having your neighbors know you beat your daughter.

They were already suspicious and suspicion leads to knowing.

I took the opportunity to dodge my mothers arm trying to grab and and to run out the door.

I ran down the driveway and into the sidewalk, tears blurring my vision.

As I tripped on a crack in the sidewalk I braced myself to fall on the hard concret. Instead I fell into a pair of strong.

I looked up an wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and found myself looking at a boy with emerald green eyes and curly brown hair.