Clement of Alexandria

"Who is Clement of Alexandria, and what was his role in helping the New Testament and the spread of early Christianity?" These are the questions that you may have considering that you have never heard of such a person. For some of you the name Clement is familiar but for those who do not know of him my goal in this paper is to paint a magnificent portrait of who he is and his work.

We know that the entire New Testament is contributed to the prophet Paul for the letters that he wrote to several churches that he helped build and shepherd, along with some of his spiritual sons and daughters that he mentored within the Christian faith. Three of them are Philemon, Timothy, and Titus (or as some call him Clement). Little is known about Mr. Clement. What is known about him is that he lived a very private life, and that from his writings to and for the church it is assumed that he was married, but the whereabouts as to where he was born, and where he lived as an adult, or what he took up as a child are not available. Clement (according to Henny Fiska Hagg) was a presbyter (priest or pastor) of the church, and a philosopher who studied under numerous philosophical educators such as Pantaenus, and also helped Pantaneus run a Greek school that was focused on teaching their students philosophy, Greek language and also theology... "The 'school' before Origen was, according to Bardy, Christian, but private and had nothing to do with the contemporary official institution of the church..." (Hagg, 56).

Clement (per the textbook) had a book containing his writings known as 1 Clement. According to the textbook the book of 1 Clement addresses issues within the church and gives guidelines on how to correct and administer church correction, ministers, pastors and ministerial staff (Ehram, 520). According to the author of the text book (Ehram) the reason for this letter was because Clement had "learned of a "vile and profane faction" in the Corinthian church" (Ehram 521). According to the book entitled "Clement of Alexandria" by Dr. John Patrick, Clement for more than twenty years wrote and taught in Alexandria and was a coadjutor (an assistant minister that helps the head minister, and will eventually become the successor) (Patrick, 25). According to Dr. John Patrick one of the early existences of Clements writings is entitled "The Exhortation to the Greeks", and within this letter to the Greeks Clement (in away like the prophet Paul) is inviting them to forsake all their God idols and to take up the liberty and favor of Christianity (Patrick 28).

Dr. Patrick says according to Clement the goal of his writings was to "set forth the way of life and training from the stage of childhood" (Patrick, 28). In other words, Dr. Patrick is saying that Clement in a way (as I am interpreting it) is sort of writing just like the apostle Paul that eventually in life one should be able to begin to live their lives as an adult and put away childish things especially in the church once the head pastor has been selected through the unction of God. In the textbook "The New Testament: A Historical Introduction" Ehram quotes from the book of I Clement as the pastor Clement is apprehending the church of Corinth for overthrowing and dismissing the pastors that God has put in place to shepherd the congregation : "It is shameful, loved ones, exceedingly shameful and unworthy of your conduct in Christ, that the most secure and ancient church of the Corinthians, is reported to have created a faction against its presbyters, at the instigation of one or two persons (47:6)... Thus, you who laid the foundations of the faction should be subject to the presbyters and accept the discipline that leads to repentance, falling prostrate in your heart. Learn to be submissive; lay aside the ignorant and haughty insolence of your tongues. For it is better to be considered insignificant but reputable in the flock of Christ than to appear prominent while sundered from his hope. (57:1-2)" (Ehram 523).

Clement of Alexandria has done a lot for the church according to his writings, lifestyle and quotes from his books that speak for themselves. He is pioneered as a great father of the church and the faith as I have previously stated in the early parts of this report. According to Britannica.com his feast day is on November 25th for the Western Christian practices and the 24th for the Eastern Christian practices. Clement or as he is called by his Latin name "Titus" died between 211 and 215 A.D. (Britannica.com)

Word Count: 783

Bibliography

Ehrman, Bart D. The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings. Sixth ed. New York: Oxford UP, 2016. Print.

Fredericksen, Linwood. "Saint Clement of Alexandria." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 20 July 1998. Web. 25 Feb. 2017.

Patrick, John. Clement of Alexandria. Edinburgh and London: William Blackwood and Sons, 1914. Print.