The Gnostic Gospel of "Paul & Thecla"

Women had a lot to deal with within the church during Paul's time. It is highly believed, and even more taught today that women have no place in ministry, are only the helpmates of the husband, and nothing more. They are considered the mates and the submissive partners of men. The gnostic gospel of Paul and Thecla gives an account of how the prophet Paul came to the city of Iconia and began to teach that those who are widows or aren't yet married should practice abstinence from all sexual desire and urges until they are married, and if they so desire follow God with their whole heart.

When you first read The Acts of Paul and Thecla it sheds light on the topic of women being devoted to their work in Christ rather than focusing on getting married and having relations with men. According to the story, Thecla, the main character has completely alienated herself from her family because she is totally captivated with the teachings and ministry of Paul. Paul is teaching about committing oneself to the life and the work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and is especially gearing his message to those who are single and not yet married or engaged.

In 1 Timothy 5:9-16 the prophet Paul writes to Timothy that the young women in the church should not be put on the widow list trying to find a husband, but instead they should be more focused on obtaining and cultivating a relationship with the Lord. He goes on to say that women who are widows should be allowed to work and help within the church. Paul also puts extra focus on those women who are younger widows knowing, that it will become more of a struggle for them to be devoted to serving the Lord while in the church. That is why Paul says to Timothy, "13At the same time, they also learn to be idle, going from house to house; they are not only idle, but are also gossips and busybodies, saying things they shouldn't say. 14 Therefore, I want younger women to marry, have children, manage their households, and give the adversary no opportunity to accuse us." (1 Timothy 5:13-14 NIV).

In both scripture and The Acts of Paul and Thecla, Paul emphasizes to his congregation the need for the women of the church to become more dedicated and focused on God, seeking His help to overcome their sexual desires and lusts. He says that their sexual desires and lusts should not be the ones that take over their lives which is why he suggests in 1 Timothy 5:11-14 " 11-15 Don't put young widows on this list. No sooner will they get on than they'll want to get off, obsessed with wanting to get a husband rather than serving Christ in this way. By breaking their word, they're liable to go from bad to worse, frittering away their days on empty talk, gossip, and trivialities. No, I'd rather the young widows go ahead and get married in the first place, have children, manage their homes, and not give critics any foothold for finding fault. Some of them have already left and gone after Satan." (The Message). This is also why Thecla breaks off her engagement to her soon-to-be husband and consistently stares out the window of her room listening to the words and teachings of the prophet Paul. Thecla really takes to heart the words of the apostle Paul, which is why when we read further into the story we see that she makes the choice to follow after the prophet Paul to become one of his many spiritual children, all the while knowing that her decision could likely have serious repercussions, both in her community and with her fiancé. However, later she is able to return back to her hometown of Iconium, where she ministers under the unction of the Holy Ghost (Erhman. 182).

Word Count: 654

Works Cited

Ehrman, Bart D. The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings. Sixth ed. New York: Oxford UP, 2016. Print.

Ehrman Bart D. The New Testament and Other Early Christian Writings: A Reader Second ed. New Yourk UP, 2016 Print

The Message Bible

The New International Version Bible