Letters to an Innocent

A/N: All sections written in italics are voiceover.

Dear Zoe...or Kaitlyn...or Angela. To my little girl. Your dad just asked if this was a love letter. I guess it kind of is. I never got to know my mother. I have no idea what she must have thought when she carried me.

A bloodcurdling scream echoed through the empty hallways of St Anne's Church, not the first in its long and unpleasant history.

Multiple footsteps thundered down the main aisle of the church as a group of witches led by Genevieve dragged Hayley forward by the arms, all of them struggling to keep hold of her as she thrashed violently in an attempt to extract herself from their grip. The werewolf screamed in fright in the hopes that someone outside would hear her desperate cries as the witches hauled her towards the sacristy at the front of the church. Tears blurred her vision as she twisted helplessly, trying to manoeuvre enough that one of them would loosen their grip long enough for her to defend herself against them.

"Get her down on the floor!" Genevieve ordered loudly over the pregnant woman's desperate screams, plastering a blank expression on her face in an effort to mask any doubt she had about completely the task at hand.

Hayley sobbed uncontrollably as she looked around hopelessly, searching for someone or something to help her escape the captivity and she cried out loud in horror when her gaze landed on a familiar brunette's unconscious body being carried into the church by a masculine male witch. Imogen's lips were parted as though she was about to speak, although coated in dried blood from where it poured from her nose but her eyes were closed in an almost peaceful expression. She watched in horror as the man unceremoniously dropped her friend onto one of the wooden pews, her head lolling limply to the side and the man pulled out a set of metal handcuffs as he held her wrists together with one hand. He threaded the handcuffs through the arm of the pew closest to the aisle and clipped her wrists into the metal loops, cuffing her to the pew so she wouldn't be able to move when she woke up.

"We should take them to the City of the Dead." Monique argued in a firm tone as she gripped Genevieve's arm to stop her from following the others, her dark unwavering eyes piercing into the redhead like daggers but Genevieve matched her glare with one of her own as she ripped her arm free.

"We won't make it, the baby is coming now."

"No! It's too soon!" Hayley shouted in terror when she overheard them speaking but she interrupted her own plea as she cried out in agony and throwing her head back against the sacristy steps as a sharp pain tore through her stomach.

"Apparently not." Genevieve countered softly as she went to take a step forward while shaking her head in protest but Monique shot her hand out to grab her arm, holding her in place with a menacing glare.

The younger witch narrowed her eyes as she tightened her grip until the pressure with enough to cause a bruise and her eyes darkened with irritation as she spat out, "The plan was to induce her when the sacrifice was ready!"

"I had to subdue her, and the trauma caused a placental abruption. So, the baby is coming, and we'll just have to adapt." Genevieve snapped back at her venomously as she ripped her arm from the younger girls grasp, narrowing her eyes warningly and pursing her lips to stop herself from verbally reminding the girl that she was the elder, she was the one who spoke to the ancestors, she was the one with superiority.

Hayley ignored the pain rippling through her stomach as she tried to break free of the hands holding her down, tears streaming down her cheeks as she cried out helplessly and she struggled relentlessly as she screamed at the top of her lungs, "LET ME GO!"