Chapter Seventeen

The dusty smell of cardboard and a sharp scent of disinfectant was nearly suffocating. So along with that and the sensation of being held, woke me up in a panic. The dimly lit store room added to my confusion and looking up, Chris was the one holding me.

“That was rather dramatic, even for you!” He set me down and Jodie looked me up and down concerned.

“Where the hell are we?”

“Ah, a store room?” He answered sarcastically, motioning around us.

“I get that, but we went to a deli and did I pass out?”

“Yeah you did, but I caught you princess.” He laughed and the look Jodie served him with had him shutting up.

“Are you ok? You literally just fainted!” Jodie took my hand while I rested the other on my hip, trying to work out why I passed out.

“I dunno, I don’t really remember,” looking around it was just us three. “Where is your brother?”

“He is keeping guard out in the store, we were about to pour water on your face to try and wake you up so we could go down.” She smiled, squeezing my hand before letting it go. There was a gentle air about her, and I found myself liking her more and more.

“Wait, you were going to pour water on me?”

“Reece wanted to use…”

“Reece?”

It all came back. He had opened the door for us to go in. A new kind of panic hit me then, different to waking up confused – more like the panic attack I had back at the hospital and falling to my knees I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t think. I wrapped my arms around my waist, curling into a ball as I gasped for air. Closing my eyes I tried to block it all out, but I didn’t exactly understand what was happening to even try and stop it.

“Elise, Elise listen to me!” Jodie called from somewhere around me. The sensation of something touching had me crying out, thinking the walls had finally closed in. “Listen, take a deep breath in, another out, come on, do it with me now.”

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

Slowly I opened my eyes and Jodie was crouched down in front of me. It wasn’t the wall on my back, but her arm and she took deep breaths with me.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.