Chapter 3

-Dr. Carter

"Ok, Kenzie come on." I said as I opened the back door of my 2009 black Escalade. 

"Daddy, I'm going to be late for school." She cried. 

"Kenzie, I promise you'll make it to school on time."

"Oh..kaaaay." She undid her seat belt and took my hand. "But if I be late I'm telling my mommy."  

I ignore her comment and walked into my office building. Every Monday morning I see about two or three patients at their homes before I go into the office. Usually, on Friday's I take home their files so I wont have to leave home and go to the office. I prefer to just wake up, get dress, and go straight to my patient's houses. I don't know how I forgot to grab the files on Friday. 

"Daddy, can I go ice-skating for my birthday?" Kenzie asked as we walked hand and hand to my office.

"Ice-skating?"

"Yes, please."

"Kenzie, by the time your birthday comes it'll be too cold to go outside, plus I doubt a ice-rink will be open."

"You can buy me a new coat and you can ask them to open for my birthday." She suggested. 

"Oh, I can?"

"Yes, please can we go ice-skating?"

"Kenzie, daddy can't make people open their businesses on Christmas."

Laila was scheduled to deliver Kenzie on January 25th but she ended up coming exactly one month early. I remember that day well because it was the day I proposed to Laila. I didn't want us to bring a child into the world without us being married first. She cried so hard and her water broke. 

"Daddy, I can't ever celebrate my birthday anywhere. I always have to stay home and my friends never want to come over."

"Ok, how about if daddy give you a really special surprise on your birthday this year?"

"Really?!"

"Yep."

"What is it?"

"You'll have to wait until your birthday."

"But, daddy it's only April."

I pretended to lock my lips with one of my keys as we approached my office door. It's 8:00am and my assistant doesn't come in until 9:30 on Mondays.

I opened my office door and turned on the light.

"Doctor..." One of my ex-patients whispered and out of instincts I grabbed Kenzie. 

"Mrs. Coopwood, how did you get in here?"

"I really need to talk to you." She cried. 

"How did you get in my office and talk to me about what? You are no longer one of my patients."

I stopped seeing Mrs. Coopwood about a month or two ago. She started to get too emotionally attached to me. 

"Daddy, I have to get to school." Kenzie said and I looked down at her.

"That's your baby? I didn't know you were married, she's beautiful."

"Thank you. Now tell me how you got in here." 

"Well, I saw that you left the window open." She explained and I looked over at the closed window. 

"Mrs. Coopwood, why didn't you use the door?"

"Because it was locked and this is important." She looked as if she hadn't slept in days. She started to tear up and I started to get nervous. I don't like Kenzie being around my patients....especially the crazy ones. I usually don't even allow her to come to my office, for reasons like this.