Chapter 13 (Part 1)

-Beyonce

Who the hell... I frowned as I was woken out of my sleep by my phone ringing. It's Saturday morning, 7:14am...what could someone possibly want this early in the morning....on a Saturday. I rolled over and grabbed my phone off my nightstand. Without really paying attention to the name, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Bey. I hope I didn't wake you." Carter said into the other in of the phone. He's a little too happy for this time of the morning for me.

"Yea, you did."

In case you're wondering it's been two weeks since Laila's accident and I'v been helping Shawn out as much as I can. I'm not doing because I want Shawn to fall in love with me. I'm doing it because he really needs the help. I decided that if he's not ready to let that woman go...then that's him. He's a grown man and I'm not going to try to influence him. He knows what's best for him, even though I may not agree with it.

"I apologize. Ummm, I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I have to meet with a patient and I really need you to watch Kenzie."

I sat in my bed. "Sure, what time?"

"Now, we're outside and Kenzie is sleeping. Buzz us up please."

I hung up the phone and rolled my eyes. I don't mind helping out but it's a such thing as getting too comfortable. I buzzed Shawn up and he put Kenzie in one of my arms and her bag in the other one. He thanked me by kissing my forehead and soon he was out. I laid Kenzie in my bed and laid down next to her.

--Shawn

After dropping Kenzie off I went to see Toni. Most of her visits are done at her house on Saturday mornings. I arrived at her house at 8:00am sharp.

"Hey, baby." She greeted me at the door with a smile.

"Hey, Toni" I said as I followed her into her kitchen. She's dressed in a white plush robe which is understandable because it's still early. "Do you want some breakfast," she asked as she made her way over to the refrigerator.

"No, I'm fine."

She reached into the fridge and pulled out a picture of orange juice. Next, she walked over to the cabinet and retrieved a glass. I watched closely as she filled her glass with the juice.

"How's your mom?" She asked before taking a sip of the juice.

"She's ok, and she's expecting you to be at the picnic for the 4th of July."

"Of course. She's my bestfriend."

"Will your crazy sister's be there?"

Toni smiled at the mention of her sisters. "Tamar is on tour, but Towanda, Taci, and Trina will be there."

"It'll be nice to see my aunties again."

"How's Laila?"

"She's doing better. They're hoping to remove her from the ICU and into a normal room by the end of next week."

"Has Kenzie seen her since the accident?"

"No, they won't allow her back because of her age."

"So whose been keeping her?"

"A really good friend of mine."

"Does this friend have a name?"

"Beyonce, she works at the practice with me."

I saw Toni's jaw flex before she smiled. "I don't remember you mentioning her to me."

"That's because there is really nothing to talk about."