Chapter 12

Sunday morning, 6:49am

-Dr. Carter

After I hung up the phone my whole brain went blank. I couldn't focus on anything, I just knew I had to get to the hospital. Beyoncé, on the other hand, was great. While I was spaced out, she called David and told him and then she got Kenzie dressed without disturbing her sleep and afterwards she drove us both to the hospital. Right now, I'm sitting next to Laila, watching her sleep and Kenzie is in the waiting area with Beyoncé. Because Laila is in the ICU, Kenzie isn't allowed back here. We've been here since midnight and Bey haven't one time complained. Anyway, all I know is Laila's plane went down because there wasn't enough fuel. She was giving directions to fly straight from Rio to New York, but she didn't make it out of Brazil. She was flown here on an emergency aircraft and was treated immediately. Besides her, there were only 8 other survivors; the second pilot and 7 passengers. The plane carried over 150 passengers.

"Shawn?" Laila whispered. I sat up straight in my chair and looked at her.

"Laila, you're awake. Let me get the doctor." I said as I jumped out of my seat.

"No, wait." She managed to choke out. I looked at her for a moment and then sat back down.

"What time is it?" She asked. I looked at my watch and replied, "6:52am."

"How long have I been out?"

I shrugged. "About 17 hours." Laila shook her head and started crying. "Laila, calm down. It's going to be alright. I'm gonna go get the doctor."

"No, wait, I wanna talk to to you first. Before they drug me with medication."

I nodded and she continued. "Shawn, it is not going to be ok. I can't see out of my left eye and I can't feel my arms or legs. It is not going to be ok. Where is my baby?"

"She's in the waiting room with Beyoncé. No one under 16 is allowed back here."

"How long have you've guys been here?"

"Since midnight. Jeff called and told us."

"Where is he?"

"He ran out for coffee."

Jeff is the guy Laila has been seeing. "He's really nice, Laila."

Laila nodded. "Shawn, please take care of Kenzie, she's going to need you." Laila cried. "Laila, don't talk like that. You're going to make it out of here."

"But I won't be the same. What if I never be able to use my arms and legs?"

"Laila, you are going to be fine."

"Shawn, pull the cover back, please."

I nodded and pulled the cover back. My heart started racing and Laila started crying at the sight. I pulled the blanket back to cover her leg, her other one was gone.

"Laila, relax." I said.

"I knew it." She said referring to her missing leg. "Shawn, my baby needs you and she's going to need a mother."

"Laila-"

"No, Shawn, I'm serious. I'm not going to be able to be the mother I once was. I'm going to try my damn best, you better believe that. But, for the things I won't be able to do-"

"I'll do." I interrupted her. "We're going to make this work."

"My head hurts so bad. Could you call the doctor, and then I want to speak with Beyoncé, alone, please."

I looked at Laila and then went to get the doctors.

While the doctors were in with Laila, I waited in the waiting room with Bey and Kenzie.