Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Finnick Pov.

I look around in the mouth of the cornucopia. I'm going to hang something up for Sam. I find a blanket. I get a spear, and tie the blanket onto it. I climb on the cornucopia and wave the flag in the air. Sam will know it's me. We're the last ones. I can win if I kill him. He won't be easy to kill, but I can do it. I put my spears down next to me, I hold my trident in my hand. I see Sam coming through the woods. This is it. This is the day I become victor, or the day I die. I stand on the cornucopia and throw one of my five spears. It hits him in the leg but he keeps going. I throw another and it hits his arm. Why can't I hit his stomach or head or something? I've been doing great with the spears. He starts climbing up on the cornucopia. I stab him with the trident and it hits his arm but barely misses his head. He climbs up and I keep stabbing. He throws one of Shine's knives and I duck. He throws another and it hits my left arm. It hurts like heck but it's not the arm I use to throw. I take the spear and throw it. It hits his stomach. He throws his last knife and it doesn't hit me. The cannon doesn't go off. I take the trident and stab him one last time right next to the wound from the spear. Now the cannon goes off.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this has been our shortest hunger games, and Finnick Odair, the winner, is the youngest to win yet." Claudius Templesmith says excitedly. "The winner of the 65th Hunger Games is Finnick Odair!"

I look up and see the hovercraft. They let down a rope ladder and I climb it leaving all my weapons behind. I get up and the doctors lay me down on the bed and fix my arm that Sam threw a knife at. It doesn't hurt that bad, I've seen people walk out of the arena with no hands, legs, eyes. I'm lucky. They bandage up my arm and I sit down to eat food. Someone joins me who I don't expect to see. President Snow.

"Hello Mr. Odair." He says formally.

"Hello President Snow, I didn't know the president came to see the new victor." I say.

"I don't. But I want to inform you on something. The people of the Capital, find you very, charming." He says mysteriously.

"What concerns me about this?" I ask.

"My job is to give the people of the Capital what they want, Mr. Odair. And what they want is you." He tells me.

"What do you mean they want me?" I ask again. What is he talking about?

"They want your company. So when you turn sixteen, I will have you taken to the capital once a year for a month every year. You will do whatever the people want." He says.

"But... Why?" I ask sadly.

"Mr. Odair, you have own over their hearts. They all love and adore you now." He explains.

"Why don't the other victors have to do this? What's so different about me?" I yell a little. I win to get back to Annie and now I'm going to be taken away from her once a month per year, plus I'll be taken every year for the games.

"Because they aren't you. They don't have your looks, your talent, your charm. Something about you makes the Capital go crazy. And if they want you, they shall have you. There's nothing you can do about it. You can follow my simple orders or I can have your girlfriend back home executed along with your parents." He tells me.

"I'll do whatever you want." I say unhappily, "just don't touch Annie or my parents."

"They won't be harmed as long as you do as I say." He says.

He pulls a rose out of his jacket and hands it to me. "Congratulations on your win Mr. Odair."

This is horrible, who knows what these people want from me. How am I going to tell my family? How am I going to tell Annie?