Chapter 19-

Hello, guys! Thank you so much for bearing with me through this storm. I need you guys to do me a huge favor, a good internet friend of mine I've been helping with writing has published her first story here on Wattpad! She writes mostly short stories, her first one being "The Curious Case of Alexis West" told in the format of letters between two Texas teens. I'm very proud of her, and knowing her she'll have another short story out right after that! Please go read the first few chapters of her story and tell her Silver Wall sent you! nanako_suzuki

An hour must've passed, and I could feel my magic power fading fast.

"Conrad, get out of the way," I said, an idea popping into my head. "What are you going to do?" he asked. I summoned a rifle, and pointed it towards the door. Blowing my hair out of my face I said, "Will we have a better chance going through the house or the window?"

"Window," he said. I turned around and shot at the window, and it shattered. Conrad pulled shards of glass out of the window so we could step through. "Go ahead. I'll watch your back," he said. I turned my back to the window and pulled myself out of the window that was so small my lower half barely fit through.

I fell and landed on my back and summoned my trusty pistol. "Hurry," I urged as I realized they probably heard the gunshot. He was struggling. He was a lot larger than I was, it made sense that he'd have to struggle to escape. Without thinking I grabbed his arm and began to pull, it's the only way I can help him.

"I'm not going to make it," he said. "Don't say that," I said, pulling harder. The doorknob started to shake. "Shit," he said, slithering back into the house. "Come on," he said, holding out a hand to pull me back inside the window. As much as I didn't want to go  back in, I knew I couldn't leave him behind.

I landed on the floor hard, and he pushed the desk right in front of the window as soon as the door opened. The man was standing there.

He stared suspiciously at us as I stood up. "So, did the monsters come yet?" I asked, walking towards him. "Not yet. Dinner's going to be ready in an hour and a half. Okay?" he asked. "It's very nice of you to let us stay the night," Conrad said, trying to stay on the man's good side. "Well, you are our children. You'll always be staying here."

He shut the door behind him. "Children?"

"So the window's not going to work," he said. "And the floorboards are nailed down. Plus, I can feel my magic depleting every minute we're in here. We won't be able to use magic if we don't hurry up," I said. "You're right. So what's our best bet?" he sat on the floor against the wall. I sat next to him.

"Dinner is in and hour and a half," he said. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"No...?"

"We're going to make a run for it."