( § ) / closure

I completely mother-son ship Adrien and Nathalie, so ... also: last chapter. i find this funny cuz it only took about a month to complete but more than half of the fanfics take more than a year - edited.

ADRIEN:

My father's trial was yesterday and he was sporting a lost cause. It only took five minutes, because he had no case. Since I was under eighteen and he had abused me horribly, he got 10 years of imprisonment.

Later that day, as I was waiting outside the court after the trial, a police officer came up to me, gesturing me to follow him.

An orderly woman with a red streak in her brown hair stood there. "Her name is Nathalie. She was abused as a kid and when she heard of your case, she immediately volunteered to be your foster mother. She's always wanted a child but couldn't have one and - granted you're sixteen, but she wants to provide you with a home. She's divorced and—"

"— she can speak for herself," she snapped at the officer, clearly annoyed at how he won't stop talking.

He cleared his throat. "Yes, well ... she already filled out the information papers and all that. You just have to agree."

I looked at Nathalie. Seeming to read my thoughts, she said, "I live near near Collège Françoise Dupont."

I'm supposed to be Chat Noir, not some lucky boy.

Don't get cocky. You're still a worthless f**k. I looked away. "O-oh. Yeah. Of course."

Time Skip

I entered her house. It wasn't that big but it was comforting and had a homey feeling to it.

Nathalie gave me a smile. "Come on, Adrien. Your room is here."

Her villa didn't have an upstairs but I was more than okay with that. She showed me past a little corridor where there was a door at the end.

I opened it, grinning as I saw the room. I felt Plagg squirm in my hoodie pocket. Switching on the light, she said, "Tomorrow we'll go shopping for clothes and room supplies and all that. But it's really late at night and I know you have school tomorrow." She hugged me. "I'll give you a good home, I promise. I wasn't saved when I was abused but I want to make sure you are."

She left and I slept on the bed she had already provided.

Plagg made his home in my hair, making me roll my eyes.

I still had nightmares and I still couldn't help but flinch whenever someone raised their hand threateningly. I had problems with trusting others and sometimes I'm so done with everything wrong with me that I'm itching to grab that razor. At days, I still hear my devil whisper things to me, telling me my how worthless I am and how I deserve to die. Sometimes it's all too much. Surviving abuse isn't just something you get over, but slowly I will. Slowly, with Marinette and Nathalie, I know I'll get better, even if it takes a lifetime.

edited and COMPLETED.

Please note that abuse isn't a fairytale; it is not a made-up story

Please note that abuse isn't a fairytale; it is not a made-up story. Neither is depression or anxiety or rape or anything else. If you or someone you know is being abused/other, please speak up. I wrote this book to show you that there is hope, even when it seems hell has become your daily life.

It will get better; you will get better, but it won't happen magically.

You have to learn not how to ignore your flaws, but how to embrace them. You have to learn to stand up, even when it terrifies you to do so.

It will take time and effort and tears, but in the end it will bring happiness and joy and relief.

Please, if you are being abused, or someone you know is, do not stand by and watch it unfold. Take matters into your own hands. And it will be scary, but it will not be impossible.

You may be in a state psychologists call "learned helplessness", but slowly you can unlearn the way you rely so heavily on whoever abuses you or your loved ones. Do not be a spectator, and do not hide your tears.

You are important, you are life, you are your own beautiful chaos and you can't let anyone take that away from you, love.

I live in the Middle East—in a new country. And it scares me bc I have social anxiety. I have no friends at school, and I'm a generally very lonely and quiet person. I'm trying to get over it; I honestly am. I push myself to talk more to others, even if it gives me slight panic because who knows how bad they're judging me. It's beyond terrifying.

But in the end, it will all be for the better. You have to step out of your comfort zone if you ever want to leave your old life behind, whether you are depressed, have anxiety, are abused, are a rape victim, have an eating disorder, or anything else.

Let no one diminish your worth, because you are worth more than any of their disgusting actions and words, and know that the steps you take will lead you somewhere amazing, and let no one be an obstacle to this path of bliss.