Chapter 39

I was surprised all of a sudden. I was wondering if he still remembered me. “And why did you ask that?” I raised a question because I was curious. Ryeowook answered, “We had a promise when we were childhood. Have you forgotten it?” I paused for a moment and replied, “Your face was so familiar after I saw you last time. Then I just recalled that we were best friends since childhood.” There was a 2-minute pause. We sipped our own frappuccinos. I said sorry to him that I broke our promise. He truthfully said, “I waited you for so long and all I want was you! Unfortunately, that promise was broken because you’re married.” My eyes opened so wide. I can’t believe that he seriously did it. His face was disappointed. He had no choice but to accept it. “But do you still have the bracelet that I gave before you left Korea?” he asked. I didn’t know how to say it because I didn’t remember where I put it. “Ahm… It’s in my jewelry box but I never wore it after I had arrived in Manila,” I lied. But he didn’t notice it. “Maybe soon you will find that right girl who is better than I am. Even though I broke that promise, can we still be friends?” I honestly said.

The shop suddenly played Mandy Moore’s song Can We Still Be Friends. We had done sipping our frappucinos as the song finished playing. Ryeowook decided, “Okay. Let’s maintain our friendship. And I will try to accept the fact that you’re not mine.” I slowly smiled at him and said thank you in Korean. We left the shop after I updated my Weibo and Twitter accounts saying, “All is well!”

On the following day, a rumor came out and spread around Asia:

Kim Ryeowook and Rose Chiu caught together dating? 

Kim Ryeowook and Rose Chiu are two of the main casts in upcoming GTV drama Carry My Love. Married to Fahrenheit’s Calvin Chen, Xiao Mei had caught together with Super Junior member outside a coffee shop last night after their drama promotion in Taichung. An employee of that coffee shop confirmed that they went there for a serious private conversation. According to Xiao Mei’s Weibo fans and Twitter followers, they don’t understand what she had posted.

During the press conference of Super Junior’s fifth album launch few months ago happened in Seoul, South Korea, print-media reporter asked Ryeowook if he is single or taken. He honestly answered that he’s single but not available. Another reporter raised a follow-up question, “Why are you not available?” Ryeowook replied truthfully, “I am waiting for someone and I haven’t seen her since she left Korea.” According to a reliable source, the girl that Ryeowook mentioned during Super Junior’s album promotion was Xiao Mei.

Xiao Mei!” Chen Mama called loudly. She was watching Showbiz Korea on Arirang Channel while I was in the kitchen, preparing for lunch. “Wait, Mama. I’m coming!” I went to living room and asked why. She emphasized, “Look! You’re on entertainment news headline. The paparazzi caught you andRyeowook together outside a coffee shop.” I was shocked when I saw our picture on TV and explained what had happened, “We privately talked about something in the past. We’re just friends.” “But one of you will clear that issue,” she said. I reacted, “And that would be Ryeowook! If he reacted first on that issue and we heard his side, then it’s my turn to clear this thing up. I know he will say the truth.”

I felt nervous. I didn’t know if Calvin would understand or get mad at me. He entered the room and said, “You’re on the news headline recently, aren’t you?” “How did you know? Did Mama say that?” I simultaneously asked. He seriously nodded. I was curious all of a sudden. I don’t know if he’s mad or sarcastic. “No, don’t worry. I’m just joking. I’m not jealous, okay? I met Ryeowook and the rest of Super Junior before because I got a chance to interview them in my MTV JKpop show,” he cleared. I laughably nodded as I lightly slapped his shoulder.

Next day, Kyuhyun had arrived in Taipei for drama promotions after his mom was okay and discharged in hospital. Also, Jiro went back from Guangzhou and Reen started her summer vacation to help us promoting our drama. Few minutes before our drama promotion in Taichung, Reensuddenly told me, “You know, Xiao Mei, you and Ryeowook are so good together on screen. Unfortunately, you’re married with Calvin.” I was surprised what she had said. The series of drama promotions in several cities pushed through until a week prior to its airing on GTV set off in Taipei. We had fun though we were very nervous. We had no idea if our drama would be a hit. Aside from outdoor promotions, we appeared in 100% Entertainment to invite viewers to watch the premiere.

Two days before its airing, we asked the press and selected celebrities in an advance screening. OtherSuper Junior members showed their support and excitement for Ryeowook and Kyuhyun’s first Taiwan idol drama. Reen’s showbiz friends namely Cynthia WangQiu ErWei Wei, and Gui Guialso appeared in the event. Dong Cheng Wei members, Selina RenElla ChenHebe Tien,TANKDanson TangRuby LinGenie ZhuoAriel LinTong Li Ya and Rainie Yang attended to congratulate JiroChun and Aaron were present in the event. Aaron said hi to his rumored ex-girlfriend Gui GuiChun decided to sit beside rumored ex-girlfriend Ella thus hearsays were spreading around that these two will make a project together; majority said that it’s a movie sequel of their drama Hana Kimi. Surprisingly, Calvin came with a beautiful smile. He embraced Jiro and Reen. He also shook hands with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. I had no idea what he whispered toRyeowook. He hugged me tightly and I asked, “What did you say to Ryeowook just then?” “Oh. I congratulated him,” he answered. I said, “Oh, really? I had a feeling that…” He put his index and middle fingers on my lips and muttered, “Let’s talk about it later when we got home, okay?” I had no choice but to nod at him. The guests and press were comfortably seated. The first two episodes of the drama Carry My Love aired without commercial advertisements. After that, we received good reviews from our friends and press people.

Finally, the pilot episode of our drama aired on the first Sunday of July on CTV. Two days after, GTV management informed us that our drama ranked number 1 in ratings. Thus, JiroReenKyuhyun,Ryeowook, and I had a 30-minute live chat interview session with fans on pixnet.com four weeks after. We answered their questions plus cleared up all issues. Ryeowook revealed the truth that the girl he mentioned during Super Junior’s fifth album promotions held in Korea was me. And I agreed what he had said was true. KyuhyunJiro, and Reen teased us for few minutes. But I told them, “Ryeowook accepted that I am married with Calvin and our marriage is still on good terms so there’s nothing to worry about. The bottom line is Ryeowook and I remained friends.” The drama stayed number 1 in ratings for 14 weeks. On its 15th week, the drama came to its end. As fans expected, the finale was when Kyuhyun knew from Yuan that Ryeowook was in love with Yuri and so was she, he had accepted it and hoped for their happiness.

Ryeowook and Kyuhyun went back to Korea for their comeback stage appearance in KBS Music Bank with Super JuniorReen continued her studies while Jiro was busy recording songs for his first album. I resumed hosting in all-new MTV Most Wanted. But there’s a big revelation for me to announce in these coming months.

What was that big revelation? Would it be a concert, a new album or a decision that will affect my career in my entire life?