Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

          “KatrinaD’Manté, to the office, please,” a woman’s voice spoke through the speaker in the cafeteria. She had just thrown away her foam plate when she heard the order. Her shoulders slumped and she made her way to the grey lift. A man standing there slid his plastic card into the slot and allowed her to go down to the bottom floor. When she arrived, she walked with her head held high to the office. This is where she went when the man with the title ‘father’ on her birth certificate first dropped her off here, so she knew where to go.

          Once at the door of Mrs. Trulli, she stopped and knocked quickly, no pattern involved. After a quiet ‘Come in,’ she turned the knob and strode into the room. Katrina plopped herself in one of the two comfortable chairs in front of her desk and stared intently at the lady before her, whom was busy applying her coral-shaded lip stick at the time.

          When she was finished, she stuck it in the top drawer of her desk and smiled at Katrina, who only glared back. “Hello, Miss D’Manté,” she said in her sick, bubbly voice. Katrina rolled her eyes and motioned for her to go on.

          “You called me?” she asked in a bored tone. Mrs. Trulli nodded her head furiously and folded her hands on her desk. “Here is your schedule!” she replied rather loudly, looking at the small paper in front of her. On it was, in neat, little handwriting, her name and a bunch of times and rooms to go to. Katrina took it and stood up.

          “Have a nice day,” she mumbled and walked out of the room. She stopped once she reached the directory, and looked back and forth between the piece of paper she held in her hand and the map. She finally found out that there were actually four floors in the building; the first for the main office and staff; the second for the cafeteria and classes; the third for the hospital and free hour rooms; and finally, the mental students’ quarters. She made her way to the lift, and waited until the staff that stood there unlocked the door for her. Quickly, she made her way to the second floor, to the left and down a long hallway that kept multiple classrooms. First stop, at eight ‘o clock, math.

          She walked into the classroom with the small sign that read math on it, and was instantly greeted by a man with a grey beard and side burns. He wore the average staff attire, and a warm smile, which was a plus.

          “Hello, Katrina! Class, this is our new student. Please make her feel welcomed,” he spoke. “I am Professor Laurence and will be teaching the subject of math. Have a seat anywhere that’s open!” Katrina grinned at him and turned towards the students. Already there were hushed whispers between them, mostly about what Katrina was like and what “power” she had. She stepped forward and took a seat in the back row, between Zander and some other boy. He had blonde hair and unnaturally bright blue eyes.

          “Marquarius Torske,” he said with a stunning smile. She nodded and took her seat whilst all the other students piled in. She looked around and saw that most everyone seemed to look pretty average, not the stereotypical mental, at least. She suddenly felt a nudge on her arm. She looked to her left and saw nothing there, not even the model-like boy, Marquarius. He had, somehow, disappeared. Katrina gasped and reached her hand out to where he would have been. She felt what seemed to be his face, but looked as though she was waving her hand in mid air. She felt his smile at his full lips, and couldn’t help but contain her own.

          He had turned invisible! Surely somebody normal would have flipped at the impossibility, but after the words from Zander and Hanna, she quickly learned to keep her head open. She began laughing from the insanity of it, of everything here, and heard a low chuckle from in front of her, too. She dropped her hand down to her side, and watched Marquarius simply appear again.