Chapter One

---A/N: So... chappy numba oneee everybody :) get ready!!!! oh, and those of you reading on the computer: a pic of kat at the side;) ---

CHAPTER ONE

Her hands were in tight fists by her sides, knuckles forming a paper white shade from the clutch she had on them. Her pinkish, plump lips were pressed together to form a flat line, and her grey eyes glaring at nothing in particular. The moon outside the window set a dim shadow on her flushed red face, caused from pure anger. She sat up straight on the uncomfortable bed, staring across the room at the pale grey, bare walls.

“You will feel so much better here at England Institutions!” a ditzy blonde gushed to her, in her drab grey khakis and pale pink worker top. Through gritted teeth, she could only scoff in return. The woman turned with a smile, and walked out of the room, pink heels clicking across the blue-grey tile.

          She sighed, and unclenched her fists. Slowly, the blood rushed back into them, and their normal shade of skin returned. She ran her fingers through the platinum blond, curly mess she called her hair. It could definitely use some brushing.

          England Institutions. What are their team colors? Grey, grey, grey, and let’s not forget: grey, was all she could think. A cold breeze wafted through the barred window at her side and she shivered.

          Next, the sick being known none other than her father walked in. He wore a black suit and tie, the look completed with matching dress pants and shiny grey shoes.

          “Look what the cat dragged in,” she spat coldly, looking him dead in the eye.

          “Oh, only my darling daughter would have the heart to welcome her father like that,” he replied, dusting off the non-existent dirt on his coated shoulder. He glared at her harshly, not batting an eye. “I came to tell you that once released from here, you are not to come back to your mother and me–”

          “Stepmother,” she cut him off, running her hand through her hair again. He rolled his eyes.

          “Anyways, we cannot have such a disgrace as you in our reputation. These little…disruptions, if you will, are not tolerated in the D’Manté family,” he finished, a small smirk playing at his evil lips. She widened her eyes at the man before her, not the least bit surprised at his words, but at the tone he used itself. He spoke with such hatred in his voice, which you wouldn’t have ever believed the male had helped given birth to her.

          “Now, have fun here, Katrina Ariana D’Manté.” He spoke his last words and was gone in an instant. Probably in a hurry to his perfect new wife, or his perfect new family, or lastly, his perfect new job that made him his money.

          Once again, the room was filled with an unsettling silence. She looked down at her hands, which tapped steadily against her leg. Her breathing was scripted in short, shallow breaths and her ears red and hurting from the cold. Nobody else had come into the room after this; though she hadn’t supposed anyone would. She was a freak.

          A ghost-seeing, self-harming freak. All the more reason to be here in a lovely, lovely mental institution. She got up from her seat on the stiff mattress and walked towards the door. After eyeing it a few moments, she found it to be quite strange. It was a normal, grey metal door, besides the fact of the one-sided glass and no doorknob. She looked at her reflection in the glass.

          The girl she saw did not look a bit like her normal self for a second. Her once bright and volume-filled blond hair lay in small waves matted to her head. The grey orbs she knew to be full of life glared back at her with a deathly, hollow stare. Her cheeks, which had been flushed and rosy at one point, were pale and seemingly vampire-like. No, this was not Katrina Ariana D’Manté. This was a freak. She let a single tear slip from her eyes, before she realized they could see her through the glass. She quickly wiped it away and sniffled.