Chp. 2 Breaking and Entering

We heard a rumor. Being the criminals in our neighborhood, we heard lots of rumors. Most of them from other thieves and this rumor was probably the best one we've heard.
It was around midnight and the house was empty. It never crossed our minds about who lived in such a large place but even if we did know, I doubt it would stop us. How could I even miss this house? If I knew about it before I would've broken into it ages ago.
"Let's get this over with," muttered Sam, rummaging through his backpack. "Dammit, Ian. I lost my flashlight".
I rolled my eyes before throwing him the one I had in my hand. "Why are you like this? We're not made of money you know?"
Sam grinned. "We will be after tonight," He said. I couldn't help but grin back. "That we will".
"Now be quiet and give me a boost," Sam pointed up to the window. He was definitely going to try to unlock it. He was good at those things. I linked my two hands together to form a cradle and not even a second later he gripped onto my shoulder for balance and lifted himself up onto the window seal.
"Just give me one second," he whispered. All it took was a slight push and the window was open.
"Wow," he said in shock. "That was easy". I thought so too.
Was it even locked?" I asked. Sam shook his head. "Probably wasn't expecting visitors," he snorted. "They never do".
The inside was dark which was really odd considering there'd usually be light from a computer or something but it was pitch black.
"Does something seem off to you?" I asked him. He shook his head. "Not really, other than the smell. It smells clean," He thought for a second. "Like too clean." I nodded in agreement.
"Okay well, help me into the window. Looking isn't going to do us much," I reached up to grab his arm and used my shoes to push myself up the building while Sam pulled with all his might to get me in. He may have pulled a little too hard because once i got through the window I ended up falling onto the hardwood floor with a loud thump.
I swear our hearts jumped out of our chests from the noise. Sam looked down at me and I looked back as the house flooded with the silence again. We sighed from relief. That could've been bad. Lucky for us this house didn't have many neighbors.
"Sorry," Sam smiled sheepishly and pulled me up by the hand. I rolled my eyes once again at him before nudging him in the gut playfully. "Just be more careful," I replied. We were both pretty clumsy so I couldn't get too upset over it.
"I'll look around the living room, you stand watch okay?" Sam nodded, knowing very well by what I meant. If anyone came in while we were looting then he'd deal with them.
"You better take the flash light," he said while throwing it to me. I caught it with both my hands. "Thanks".
Flashing around my flashlight I could tell that the living room was almost empty. There was a table, couch, no TV just a weird fireplace that looked like it hadn't been touched in years. It was all dusty and gross. This was too weird and I was just now thinking that the rumor was false. That is until I heard a violent scream coming from the room we sneaked in from.
I turned to stone. It took me a moment to realize it but that scream wasn't some lady scared shitless to find a weird man in her house. That scream was Sam. I didn't know what to do, we were caught. We discussed this before that if we were ever caught we would book it no matter if we were together or apart but did he really expect me to leave him? I gritted my teeth before grabbing the fire poker and made my way to the door. I didn't even get halfway there before a large figure of a man blocked it. I was screwed.