Chapter One: Drowning

She closed her eyes, not wishing to see the destruction she brought with her with her own voice. It hurt to know that she was the one dragging down the mass of wood and life. Human lives. And any other living thing on board along with it.

The beautiful notes she sang screamed of death without sorrow; without regret. It burned within her and rushed the waves into a torrent of absolute terror, deleting everything in it's path. The ocean swallowing up the seemingly tiny ship and calming as soon as she could snap her mouth shut.

Now clear and quiet, she stood on the surface of the water until it dragged her back down into the depths of the dark blue. The bubbles and pearls were stripped from her body leaving her in only her skin.

Ahead, she saw strong pillars with many cells and coves within. In the center, was a grand palace almost glowing in the darkness. The double door in front was colossal, and impossible to penetrate. Guards patrolled the perimeter, stiff and frightening. A tall tower rested to one side of the main building, thick seaweed wrapping around it to the small window. A massive living object. The most beautiful prison you may ever see.

Inside dotted with different rooms in every hallway. An absolutely overwhelming ballroom. Crystals being the only light source like an array of stars for every hour of every day. The only place she was allowed to roam.

The field of magic surrounding the deeper half forcing her human-like body into a that of which she really was. Her skin becoming blue-ish again and hair flowing long around her. She could take the transformation further, but she enjoyed the human feeling having legs gave her, even if they didn't actually work on dry land.

Without so much as a creak, the gates opened and slammed shut behind her. She was "free" but in a confined space. The heart, she imagined herself having, felt like it would crumble into a million broken pieces.

Instead of heading straight to the king, she started to go around the main doors and to the tower. A large bull shark blocked her path. Poison, being around nine-feet long, could easily crush her between his strong jaws if she tried to squeeze by. And if Poison was here waiting, it meant she needed to get away before his master arrived as well.

Never losing view of the shark, she inched backwards slowly. This was a predator, and speeding off would only give him a reason to chase. No sudden movements was the only way to go. Poison inched as well, just watching her through his beady, black eyes. She just wanted to push him away, but preferred her hand to stay attached to her wrist.

Then, she suddenly ran out of ocean. Or she hit a wall.

But walls don't move.

And walls don't chuckle.

Eep... she gulped.

"You're facing the wrong direction, little girl," he whispered into her ear, "Do you know what happens to naughty girls that don't do what they're told?"

She whipped around to face him, her hair swirling against her body, covering it to the hips. "Ivan!" she exclaimed, backing away till her back hit Poison's nose. Her breath caught in her throat.

Ivan made a disapproving clicking noise with his tongue, "Melody," he gripped her wrist, "Come along now. His majesty is waiting."

"But I don't-" his glare kept her from speaking anymore, "Yes, sir," she put her head down letting him drag her along.

Poison led in front of them through the clear water. Prisoners in their column cells screamed and stretched their limbs through the bars containing them. One made eye contact with Melody, expression empty, and pins pricking her green skin.