Chapter Ten

The mob at the gate had been waiting for a signal of some kind, but had thought it would be something subtle; a cough or a wave meant to take the witches unawares. There was a fraction of a second's pause while it sank in just what Brenda had meant, then they stormed the house, makeshift weapons held high and shouts held even higher. The fence didn't really stand a chance and became the first casualty of war with the silverfish barely escaping being the second. They crashed through the garden, trampling everything in their path and pushed into the house, carrying Brenda along with them. Gemini stumbled back, stunned, and fell against her sisters. Before any of them could speak, they had been bound, gagged and hooded to prevent them using any of their accursed powers.

When the hoods were removed, the three sisters found themselves in the Town Square, tied securely to the stake. Around them, standing silently, almost fearful, were the villagers. None could look the witches in the eye as they guiltily shuffled about, their faces downward. Only Brenda held her head up.

"So, witches," she shouted, even though everyone could hear her. "What have you done with him?"

The sisters looked at each other. What on earth was happening? Was this some kind of Halloween prank? But Halloween was still days away, and it wasn't very funny. These were their friends. Edna had swapped teapots with Brenda Corrigan. They looked around them and saw what was obviously kindling, and a lot of it, stacked at their feet. It didn't take a genius to figure out what was going on. Gemini was a buttered bap short of the whole buffet, but even she realised, with a choked gasp, what was happening. Witches hadn't been burned at the stake for hundreds of years! This was insane!

Brenda took their silence to mean the obvious, or at least the obvious from where she was standing, which was as far from the witches as she could stand without appearing afraid.

"Tell us," she said, "and we'll make this as painless as possible. Keep silent and I won't be responsible for what might happen."

This was true. Brenda certainly wouldn't be the one to light the match, that was for sure. She had flunkies for that. Her husband for one.

Edna, eldest of the sisters, was automatically the one they looked to for help. Even given their predicament, she was still the same Edna that had faced down the Mayor decades before. It was one of the reasons she and her current adversary got on so well. They were strong women who stood up for what they believed in, in some cases regardless of whether or not they were right.

"Brenda Corrigan, what is going on?"

That old act-as-if-you-don't-know trick. It wasn't going to work, so they may as well drop it.

"Don't act as if you don't know, witch! What have you done with him?"

"Who? What are you rambling on about woman?"

Brenda took great offence at anyone who implied she might ramble. As far as she was concerned, she spoke her mind, got right to the point, didn't waffle, just bang, straight and true. Anyone who got in the way should beware. Her tongue was sharper than any old knife as Edward, her carefully devoted husband, had learned very early on in their marriage. She took a deep breath and, through teeth clamped tighter than her father's wallet, the mean old duffer, she said...

... not a word.

Without a flash or a fart, Brenda Corrigan was gone. In mid-taunt, she was no longer mid-anything. A vague cloud of green that made you think your eyes were a little out of focus and you should maybe visit the optician over in Hathaway, which was over thataway but wasn't really worth the wagon ride, hung for a second in the air before fading, the world coming once more into a stark clarity.

Gemini and Puddlebrain stared at Edna in amazement and she stared back at them. She shook her head. She was sure she hadn't... didn't... couldn't... had she?

The hungry pack that had been so eager to satiate their thirst for vengeance stood in stunned silence. Their heads swung from where their unofficial leader had been standing to the witch, moving back and forth like cats hypnotised by a moving light. A yelp from somewhere near the back broke the spell they couldn't have been under, because the witches were sure they'd lost their magic, and they suddenly fled. The Town Square emptyed in seconds, leaving the three witches tied to the stake.

Gemini and Puddlebrain continued to stare at their sister. It was a cool trick, but why didn't she tell them she had her powers back? Edna could see what they were thinking, but she hadn't! She couldn't!

Could she? Edna concentrated hard on the ropes that held their hands tight behind them. She took a deep breath and moved her finger in a small circular motion. Nothing happened. She tried again, making the circle bigger. Still nothing.

"It wasn't me," she said quietly. For a second, she thought it might have been. She thought maybe, somehow, their magic had returned. It hadn't. "It wasn't me," she repeated.

"Well if it wasn't you, then who was it? Know any other witches hanging around?" asked Gemini. "Come on Edna. Tell all. How long have you known?"

"I don't know anything. I'm telling you it wasn't me!"

"Oh, come on. Why don't you just...?"

"I don't think it was her, Gemini," Puddlebrain interrupted. "We're sisters. If Edna had her magic back, then wouldn't we all? Besides, as nice as it is to get rid of that interfering busybody Brenda Corrigan, it was hardly the right way to do it, with a mob after our blood."

Gemini shut up. Puddlebrain had a point, but if it wasn't Edna, then who?

"We won't find anything out stuck up here. We need to get down. Do either of you have any scissors or a knife?" Edna asked.

"Oh yes," said Gemini sarcastically. "I have both in my pocket! Which would you prefer? I've got a hammer and nails in my other pocket so we can rebuild the benches while we're at it!"

"No, Edna," said Puddlebrain. "We don't. Face it, we can't get out."

"Don't be daft. You think a few bits of string are going to hold me down? Never in a month of Wednesday afternoons."

Edna took a deep breath, then tried to force her arms apart. When it, surprisingly, didn't snap the thick ropes that bound them, she tried wriggling about to loosen them. When that didn't work, she turned to the others.

"Well don't just stand there!" she snapped. "Help me! I can't do this on my own!"

Gemini joined her in her wriggles and squirms. Puddlebrain simply watched them for a few moments.

"It's not going to work. They're too tight and too thick. Maybe one of the villagers will come back and let us out," she said.

"And pigs might dance the tango!" Edna shouted. "Get a grip, Puddlebrain. If they come back, it'll be to cook us good and proper, with nary a roast spud or cauliflower floret in sight. We are on our own!"

"Oh, I wouldn't be saying that," said a voice. "I wouldn't be saying that at all."