Chapter Twenty

"Grimace Woods!" she exclaimed. "It has to be. Nobody ever goes there. My father was the only person I know to have actually spent any length of time in the woods, and he never spoke of it."

Billy nodded.

"Well, it's a start," he said. "Let's go."

"Just like that? Now?"

Puddlebrain was scared already, before they'd even left the house. She wasn't used to doing this taking action sort of thing, especially without her sisters to back her up.

"We have to start somewhere and somewhen. So Grimace Woods and Now it is. Come on."

It was all very well making it to the woods, but...

"Then what?" she asked.

"Then we see!" Billy sighed. "How do I know? We might not find anything there. Or what we are looking for might very well be hiding in the woods, and find us! I don't know. Now come on!"

Puddlebrain knew it was no use fighting. She couldn't simply sit and wait it out. Well... She could... No. No she couldn't. She took a deep breath, which failed to calm her nerves, and stood up – as much as she could considering the low ceiling. Billy went to the door and threw back the bolts. He gingerly pulled it open and peered out. The stairway up to the hall was gloomy but there was enough light to see that no one was lying in wait. He moved onto the first step which, naturally, creaked. He held his breath, as if doing so might make the sound go unheard. There was no movement. All he could hear was his own heartbeat and Puddlebrain's nervous breaths. He gestured to the witch to follow. Together they crept up to the ground floor.

The house was silent. The lack of noise was all the more eerie due to the fact that the house was never this quiet. There was always a racket – arguing, chatting, slurping (at the many thirteen o'clocks) and, at night, snoring. It emphasised how alone Puddlebrain was and she almost began to cry again. Almost. If she wanted her sisters back, and today was probably the first time she'd ever admit to such a thing, it wouldn't happen if she fell to blubbering pieces at every turn.

She went into the living room to look outside. The heavy curtains were still closed so she didn't have to crawl, but she did so anyway. Carefully pulling them apart, Puddlebrain could see the whole length of Shadowmoss Lane. It was empty. Billy's voice next to her made her jump.

"What can you see?"

"Don't do that!" she hissed, almost having to catch her heart leaping out of her chest.

Billy, even under these circumstances, couldn't help but snigger.

"Sorry," he said, not entirely convincingly. "Is anyone out there?"

Puddlebrain took another look to make sure. There was no one about.

"Not a soul that I can see. Of course that doesn't mean they're not hiding."

"Well, we can't do anything about that. We've got to go sooner or later so I say sooner, because there might not be a later."

Puddlebrain nodded, resigned.

"I suppose we're just going to have to risk it."

"Hey, don't be so down. Remember you've got your magic back. That should do us some good, even if it's only to scare off any roaming villagers."

The witch, who was, actually, a real witch once more, managed a smile. She wasn't accustomed to the idea of having her powers returned yet. Seventy years was a long time and, even though they'd been trying to get them back and really wouldn't let on, they had become used to not being witches. Puddlebrain had to admit that to herself. They were still far from normal – their long lives were testament to that fact – but their witchiness was, sometimes, as if it had been part of someone else, someone that they used to know. To go back to being that someone else would take a little getting used to.

"Let's go," she said in a manner that showed she was ready.

Inside, she was far from ready. Inside, Puddlebrain wanted Edna to be here to tell her what to do. She wanted Gemini here to feel superior to (which wasn't a very nice attitude but one that was difficult not to have around her). Unfortunately, Edna wasn't here and there was a great big question mark hanging, like a hammer waiting to fall, over whether Edna would ever be here again. Gemini wasn't here either, and that same hammer was hanging over her – a practical toolbox of uncertainty.

Sigh.

Well, here goes.

Puddlebrain dropped the curtains and strode purposefully to the front door with Billy hurrying along behind. Without thinking, she waved her hand at the door, which gladly opened, pleased that the 'old' Puddlebrain was back, and walked out into the waiting world.