Chapter 1

"This year," President Snow's voice booms onto the TV, "is the twenty-fifth year of the Hunger Games."

I settle into the coach next to my little sister, Ferra. She squirms in her seat.

According to mom Ferra doesn't know what the Hunger Games are. According to dad...

"For the twenty-fifth year, the tributes," President Snow is handed a card and opens it, "will be voted in the districts."

"Uhhhh, phew. No one will vote me then," I sigh in relief.

"Oh my god," my mother shrieks. I get up and stand next to her.

"What?" I ask.

"You're the only girl in the district that has experience with this stuff. They will pick you if they want a winner."

"Wouldn't people vote some idiots that aren't cared about?" Nikki says coming next to me. Nikki is my 17 year-old sister. She hates the Hunger Games anyway you take it.

"No. They want their district to win not lose. They will choose skilled people. Especially from District 1, 2, and 4."

Ferra climbs off the couch and comes to our group.

"They might choose Nikki. They might choose Autumn. I shouldn't have had kids," my mother shivers.

"We'll be fine, mom," Nikki says.

***

"Welcome, welcome, welcome," Opinna -the escort- starts. "Today I will tell you the tributes of the twenty-fifth Hunger Games. This year the tributes have been voted." A peacekeeper hands Opinna two cards. One says boy and the other girl.

I gulp as she steps to the microphone and opens the girl card. "As usual ladies first."

I grip my other hand as she raises the piece of paper. Here it comes...

She unfolds it.

"Autumn Parks."

I gasp really loud even tough I was expecting it.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Nikki calls from the crowd.

"I'm sorry but you can't volunteer at this special quarter quell."

I slowly walk up to the stage. It's no use. I can't survive, not this quarter quell. Not any quarter quell. Not this Hunger Games. Not any Hunger Games. I'm gonna die. Painfully. I don't stand a chance.

"The male tribute is," Opinna opens the boy card and raises the paper. "Harter Ilona."

Recognize the name as a boy in my math class from school.

I skim the crowd and without any hope give up to find her. I can't find them. My mother, father, Nikki, or Ferra they're gone.

Suddenly I hear a scream. I look up to find my mother with a gun at her neck. A peacekeeper holds the gun barrel on her neck.

I scream. "What did she do?" I ask.

I notice what my mom is holding its a gun and it's pointed towards Opinna's head. My mom shoots at Opinna and it hits her in the leg.

Then the peacekeeper shoots the gun and my mom's body falls to the ground.