Chapter 2

The blood smears everywhere just like the tears on my face. I watch as the peacekeeper drags my mother's body off of the platform. Opinna is taken to the train early so the nurse can heal her leg. I'm still in shock as our mentor, Greve takes us into the Justice Building. We will say our final goodbyes to our parents before going into the Hunger Games.

I'm taken into a room with a fuzzy coach and a few windows. A mirror sits in the corner of the room. It has a wide frame. A chair is next to it. I sit in the fine chair and settle on the idea of it being mahogany. I put my hands on the desk and stare into the mirror. The desk needs to be dusted from the fair amount of dust on it. I look at my hair which is in its bun. I grip the band and pull it out of my hair. It falls to my shoulders all at once in its straight style. The reddish goes with my freckles. I wear a lavender dress and white tainted shoes.

Suddenly the door opens and Nikki and Ferra trot in crying. Nikki walks up to me holding Ferra's little hand in hers.

"You can do this. You can win," Nikki says. "Do it for yourself. Do it for us. Do it... Do it for mom."

I hug Nikki.

"I will. I will win," I say.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Ferra comes up to me. "What happened to mom?" she asks.

I can't do it but I have to. "She's-" I start but Nikki interrupts me.

"She's dead."

Ferra cries even more.

"You have to win."

"I will."

They are taken out of the room and my father comes in. "You're okay. You try your best," he says.

"Dad, this isn't a game of Monopoly. It's a game of death," I remind him.

"It doesn't mean you can't win."

"My odds aren't very high."

"They're higher than everyone else's odds in the district."

I shrug. "I love you," I say. "Take care of them."

"I will. I love you too."

He leaves and I'm left alone starring at my reflection again. My green eyes stare into my soul. It's not fair. I shouldn't be in this place. No one should be. These games should have never happened. It's not my fault the districts rebelled. It's not my mom's fault she had to give birth to me. It's not my dad's fault he had to make my mom pregnant.

A minute later I'm in the train waiting to reach the Capitol.