Chapter 5

Fright rushes through me. I know this boy. How? I wish I could go around asking people how I know a person from district 1. Our fences are secure around our district so how could I get there to meet him or him to get here to meet me? It makes no sense. I look over at Harter. He's still nibbling on his steak. There's a flash of recognition through his eyes. For a second I'm puzzled because we both know this person. From what though?

"Autumn, do you know him?" Harter asks.

I say, "It sure feels like it." I rub my forehead as the girl from district 2 is reaped. She is built the same like the girl from district 1. The boy walks up a few seconds later. He's just like the girl. They look like brother and sister. They are.

District 4 is the only other district with the stronger people. I know for a fact that I'm dead. I can't survive. I still want to try though.

Once the Reapings have finished I get ready to go to sleep. I brush my teeth until they are scrubbed perfectly clean. Tonight are the recaps of the earlier Hunger Games. Once I've finished I sit down at the edge of my bed and turn on a TV that was put in my room. I turn the TV to the Capitol Channel. First, it always shows last years'  Hunger Games.

It starts with the Reapings and then goes on to the Tribute Parade. Then the interviews, followed by the Games themselves. The countdown starts and before I know it the gong is off and everyone is running. Running to or from the bloodbath. I close my eyes for the gruesome parts. When those Games are over the screen shows the name, date of birth, district, and gender of the victor. I read it throughly.

Name: Judice Smith

Date of birth: 4/16/98

District: 2

Gender: Female

The screen goes blank for a second and then I see the 1st Hunger Games. They always replay this one. Right when the bloodbath starts my eyes close and I drift off to sleep.