Guide: Ghost Hunting

Before you jump into the field of ghost hunting with little to no knowledge of what you're about to do, I would like to tell you a few things of what not to do.

Anyone can be a ghost hunter, but, the question is, are you an effective one? What's an effective one?

An effective ghost hunter is one who has some experience and/or expertise in some fields such as; investigation, logic, psychology, critical thinking, forensics, science, and other areas of the sort. Don't think for a second that you will be the tiniest bit effective without some expertise or experience in those areas.

Let's assume you did have the expertise for a moment. Once you get a ghost hunting 'gig' as I will call it, don't begin hunting the ghost that someone has claimed to be at a location with the idea that there is, in fact, a ghost. You don't know for sure there is a ghost because you haven't found any solid evidence yet. You need evidence that has no other explanations.

Which brings me to my next point. Never ever forget to consider any other alternate explanations to evidence that could be paranormal. Unless there are no other explanations, you don't know for sure that it's evidence of a ghost. This is where your expertise I mentioned earlier comes in. With you expertise, you'll know about the alternate explanations. Without it, you might not even know about an alternate explanation.

Don't investigate in the dark. I know on all those television shows about ghost hunters, they investigate in the dark. Don't do it. Those ghost hunters are amateurs. You do not want to be an amateur, right? Didn't think so. It is much easier to find something unknown when you are able to see properly. You can't see properly in the dark!

Another gimmick of amateur ghost hunters is the use of ion counters. I mean, you could us them, but you can only use them if you can rule out the alternate explanations for a change in ion counts. Some of the normal explanations are weather, solar radiation, and radon gas. If you can rule out those things, then go ahead use the ion counter, but if you can't, don't. You won't be helping yourself in any way if you do.When ghost hunting don't use bad methods, don't jump to conclusions, and never get too excited and forget that you don't know everything yet.

Never ever get wrapped up in trying to identify the ghost. Let's say you're investigating a house, and you can hear noises of some sort that might be the ghost. Identifying the ghost won't help you in anyway. You should instead be looking for the source of the sound to prove whether or not a ghost is really the culprit of the noise.

When ghost hunting don't use bad methods, don't jump to conclusions, and never get too excited and forget that you don't know everything yet.