ū n d e c i m

D I F F E R E N C E

"Do you ever wish you had a second chance to meet someone again for the first time and make things right?" ~ Unknown.

"Hey kiddos, you coming to visit your grandparents?" Wesley's father poked his head into his children's room.

Lacey nodded excitedly before looking at her brother with her big beautiful eyes. With a huff, Wesley looked outside their bedroom window. His mother sat there, feeling down and not herself. She engaged herself by picking the hem of her neatly ironed dress. Visiting them had just become a formality for her, at least that's what Wesley thought.

"Wes? You coming?" His father repeated, bringing his son back into reality.

"What? Oh yeah... Uh... No dad. I-I uh... I have some homework to do." Little Wesley replied to his father, who was now leaning against the door frame.

"Oh okay... Look son if this is about mom and me fighting, then you don't-"

"Really dad. I have some homework. You guys go ahead." He cut off his father by replying quickly. His lying skills were becoming stronger day by day.

"What homework do you have anyway?" His dad came near him and sat down on his bed with him.

"Math." Wesley replied smoothly. He didn't even blink.

"Math?" His father retorted.

"Math." He confirmed his answer.

"You know, homework will always be there. Your grandfather really misses you Wesley." His father sighed, rubbing Wesley's knee.

"I know... but this homework is really important." Wesley replied, a forced smile on his small six year old face. He brushed off his father's hand that rested on his knee.

"Wes... come." Lacey patted his shoulder. "Grandpa has the best stories to tell." She smiled, thinking about her grandfather's crazy stories.

"Those stories which you will tell me when you come back." He ruffled her hair, as her smile slowly disappeared from her pale face.

"Wesley, it's been a month. Come." His father pressed on the word 'month'.

"I know dad, I miss him too. But I have homework." He repeated himself.

"Okay son. I'll tell him you said hi." His father got up as he took his daughter's small hands in his as they walked out of the room before glancing back at Wesley's posture slouched on the bed.

"Bye dad. Bye Lacey." Wesley gave a small wave, before walking towards his desk.

Time flew relatively slowly when they went to see their grandparents. He would stay alone at home, alone with the voices in his head. He would often talk to himself. Create conversations with imaginary things. Just as long it kept him away from reality. He didn't hate his grandfather. In fact, he loved him. And that's why he couldn't bear seeing his grandfather in his condition. He after all, was a small boy with a weak heart. There was only so much that he could bear.

Wesley ran his hand through his sweaty hair as he let out a loud huff.

His father looked back at Wesley's room, as he places a soft hand on his wife's shoulder. His mother looked through the window to see Wesley clutching onto his hair. Lacey ran back into the house to get the keys of their car, an old beaten up station wagon. Wesley stared at the piece of paper in front of him. Questions and numbers in bold staring back at him. Beads of sweat now lined his forehead as there was an unknown tension in the room. The heat was rising around him. Tears started forming in his eyes. His began to widen. His chest started to ache. His head started spinning. Lacey skipped back to the car and handed over the keys to her dad before slamming the door shut.