VI

Hagrid, Harry and I got into the rowing boat that surprisingly actually still existed after the storm the previous night. Bearing in mind it was still night, Hagrid threw Harry and I his coat. "Yeh can kip under that," he told us. "Oh yeah, an' I got you both sumfin."

He took back his coat and and pulled out a slightly squashed white cardboard box. "Baked it meself, words an' all!" I pulled the lid off, and wonder of wonders, inside was a large, sticky chocolate cake that read Happy Birthday Potters in green icing. Harry and I looked at Hagrid, amazed.

"Thank you!" We chorused, and tucked in. It was delicious. "Are you two ok?" Hagrid asked us, amazed, whilst we wolfed the cake together. "We've never had a birthday present before," I explained with my mouth full. "We've never had cake before either," Harry added.

"My, you've got a lot to get used to," Hagrid said. "Get some kip now, you can finish the cake later." We nodded, and settled down in the boat. Both of us easily fitted under it, and fell asleep quickly.

I woke up to a tapping, and my heart sank. It was a dream, I told myself. A giant called Hagrid gave us a cake and there's Aunt Petunia knocking on the cupboard now. The tapping persisted. "All right, all right," I mumbled. "I'm up, I'm up." I opened my eyes and saw Hagrid fast asleep at the other end of the boat. I grinned.

An owl was tapping its beak on the side of the boat. "Pay 'im," Hagrid said sleepily, blinking a few times. "Pay him?" I said, stunned. "Give 'im five knuts," Hagrid replied. "Knuts?" I repeated. "The little bronze ones." Hagrid grunted.

I counted out five little bronze coins and gave them to the bird. It nipped my finger, and then it was gone. My yelp was what woke Harry, as he stirred, yawned and stretched.

"Open yer letters, lads," Hagrid said wearily. "We're gunna do yer shopping today." Harry and I ripped the rest of the envelopes eagerly. The letter read as follows;

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

There was another page too.

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.
COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic
by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory
by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions
by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
by Quentin Trimble
OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales
Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

Harry's letter was completely identical to mine. "Hagrid-" Harry began. "-can we find all this in London?" I finished. He gave us a big wink. "If yeh know where ta look," he said craftily.

He then pulled out a bright pink umbrella. I blinked in surprise. He tapped the side of the boat twice, and we sped off to land.