XVII

The next morning, Harry and I received a very pleasant surprise at the breakfast table. Hedwig and Azure flapped doggedly into the hall with all the hundreds of other owls, carrying between them two large packets that closely resembled the objects we'd been flying on just that day before.

The entire Gryffindor table shook when they were dropped in front of Harry and I. "What are they?" Harry demanded. I smacked him. "You nitwit. They're brooms! You fly on them! In the muggle world we used them to clean! Yesterday we got on the Quidditch team for our skill on them! Remember?"

He hit me back. "Yes, thank you. I know what a broom is." Ron chipped in. "You got on the Quidditch team?" Harry groaned. "Ron, I told you that yesterday. Do you actually have the memory of a goldfish?" Ron stared open mouthed. "So... you two are the youngest players in a-" Will interrupted. "Century. Sam told me yesterday, and I actually listened." Ron hit him.

"So, can we open these brooms or are you two going to argue all day?" I snapped, pulling Will and Ron apart. They folded their arms. "Sure."

Harry and I pulled the paper off together, and all four of us gasped when we saw what was inside. Two sleek and shiny, brand new Nimbus 2000 broomsticks lay before us.

"A Nimbus 2000!" Ron said enviously. "I've never even touched one." I shrugged. "You two can share them sometime."

We finished our breakfasts, and wandered out into the hall. Malfoy, flanked by his cronies, zipped over to see what we had in our hands as soon as he saw us. "That's a broomstick," he sneered. "You'll be for it now Potters, first years aren't allowed them."

Just then Professor Flitwick, the charms teacher, came strolling down the stairs. "What's going on here boys?" he squeaked. "The Potters have broomsticks Professor," Malfoy said quickly. Flitwick beamed. "Yes, very good. Professor McGonagall told me about the special circumstances. What models have you got?"

I did everything in my power to not burst out laughing. "Nimbus 2000, professor," Harry and I said together. Flitwick nodded in approval, and walked off.

Ron grinned. "What've you got at home then Malfoy, a comet two sixty?" He turned to us. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the nimbus."

Malfoy snorted. "What'd you know Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle. I expect you and your brothers have to save up, twig by twig."

Ron clenched his fists. I felt intense anger towards Malfoy. How dare he insult Ron like that? Suddenly, I felt myself changing. I became smaller, lithe, and muscular, my muscles rippling with a strange kind of energy. There was also the small fact I was standing on four legs and had a tail. Malfoy screamed and ran, followed by Crabbe and Goyle. I yelped in shock. Harry, Ron and Will just stared. I tried to speak, but it came out as a low rumbling growl.

"What... the hell?" Will recovered first. "Sam, are you a lynx?" I bounded over to a portrait and stared at my reflection. I'd become a cream-gold colour, my ears were huge, pointy and black-tipped, and razor-sharp teeth showed when I opened my mouth. I'd actually become another animal without knowing it.

A stern voice sounded behind me. "What is going on here?" I jumped round. It was McGonagall. "Is that a student?"

I concentrated hard, and felt myself change. "Potter!" McGonagall sounded shocked. "A natural animagus, changing in the corridors!"

Harry stepped in front of me. "Please professor, you don't understand-"

"Silence!" McGonagall snapped. "You three-" she pointed at Harry, Ron and Will. "You three will go to lessons. Potter, follow me to Professor Dumbledore's office."

I gulped.