Because Janna will Protect him

By now, news has spread around the school that Marco Diaz had attempted to commit suicide. He had failed and slipped into a coma.

Coincidentally, Star Butterfly had finally awoken. This is where the chapter starts...

Opening her eyes, the first sight sees she's in a teenager sinking into a chair beside her. "Star?" said a young and tall boy as he rubbed his sleepy eyes. He had a white fringe and a pale turquoise tee shirt that said 'young & free'. "You're awake" he quickly jumped out of the foldable chair. Strange considering that he was so drowsy not long ago.

Star...my name is Star.

"Toffee? What time is it?" asked the blond while scanning the room. It was a cloudy day, the room was dark and cold like a black and white movie. Why isn't anyone else here? Where's dad?

"It's four am, but time is just an illusion so don't worry about it" Toffee rambled nervously while helping Star out of the bed. As Star got on her feet she noticed the distance between Toffee and her that suddenly appeared.

"I'm sorry..." he mumbled, avoiding eye contact, "I couldn't save you". Star couldn't remember much from the accident. She just knew it wasn't his fault. Star walked closer to him, closing the space and cupped his face.

"None of this was your fault"

"I'm gay"

"..."

Star pulls her hands away rapidly and slaps his shoulder, "you don't have to say that every time I show the slightest kindness to you!". He's still the same. He's still the same from age nine. It's not a bad thing though. Star felt relieved to see a familiar face, to feel comfortable again. Toffee bursts into laughter as he tried to block himself from Star's hands.

"Stop or I won't tell you where dad is" Toffee said jokingly as Star backed him against a wall. She froze her hand before letting it fall helplessly. This is their friendship. Star's known him since elementary school. He's three years older than her but, that's beside the point. Back then he was quiet and reserved, strange considering that he's more of a child now. Their parents always joked that we were gonna get married, besides her mother who said that Toffee and Star acted like her foolish siblings. They've been together, side by side, like partners in crime. It's miraculous that they've dealt with each other for so long.

"Toffee, I need you to help me," Star said in a much more serious tone than before. She needs to save him from the burden she's placed upon him. She needed to save...what was his name again?

"Who?" Toffee responded inquisitively, using his hands to comb his fringe out of his eyes. He's trying to look cool, it has no effect.

"I..I don't recall his name..."

"Nutjob"

"Hey!"

"I'll always help you" He interrupts. Star is thankful, for that in this moment, she has such a reliable friend.

"I'm in love with him but I can't remember-"

"Nutjob"

"Hey!"

At this point, their conversation seems interminable.

Days past, Star and her family come together. While another family is being torn apart...

Faint sobbing is heard from the other side of the door, "don't cry dear, I'm sure that everything will be fine" Mr.Diaz said, not very confidently. Janna leaned against the other side of the door, listening to the steady beep of the monitor. It must have been her fault. She was the last person Marco talked to before his attempted suicide. Janna was obsessively thinking about the conversation over and over again. She called him a loser for something Marco couldn't control. It's her fault...it's all her fault.

Janna didn't cry, she didn't make a sound. She tilted her head to the side with a malicious expression. She looked unaffected at first but, if you stared a little longer, she looked as if she could kill. The beeping continues to ring in her ears. And when she leaves it doesn't stop. The beeping haunts her more than the desperate sobs. Because the beeps means that he's still alive, and hope is the most dangerous weapon of all.

-

School was torture. Everything around her reminded that someone was missing. She doesn't deserve to be here without him. It was as if Janna loved him. Maybe Marco was like a brother to her. Maybe Marco was like a son to her. Maybe Marco was like a lover to her. Janna is one of the most mysterious characters, we will never know how she feels.

"Where is he?" Janna heard a pleading whisper behind her. She turned around and saw Jackie looking at the floor. Was she crying? "It's been days and he's still not here!" Jackie's voice began to raise, her head lifted up. She wasn't crying, her eyes were not sad. They were viscous. "You know where he is, don't lie to me!" Jackie shouted.

Janna turned around, "maybe you should have asked him out before" she gave a final chuckle, "too bad he loves someone else" and she walked away. The whole hallway fell silent. Never in their life have they seen such terrifying facial expression.

-

"Star?" asked Toffee while placing his hand on the small of her back, "it looks like you haven't slept in days"

"That's because I haven't slept in days"

Author's Note:

I'm in a writing slump and I think I need anger management classes. I use to always hold back my feelings because I was scared and I didn't think I matter, but today I kept getting so angry and I kept yelling at my family. I hate them. I hate myself more.

Sorry I won't write depressing things anymore.

How's pride month for you guys? It makes me happy even though I haven't come-out yet. If you're wondering I'm bisexual and non-binary. I don't really care what pronouns you use thought because I hear it everyday.

Hope you're having a great day!