Chapter 5: No Need To Be Salty

Spring. The flowers are blooming, the hearts rising and the prom dates evolving... Oh, how poetic you must be Scarlett. Well yes, sad thing is it's not as pretty as it's painted; at least when you don't have a real date. What do I mean with real date? Well, I always have a date. Not because I'm the most wanted girl at school, but because Matthew has always ran from his fangirls, which is why it's our tradition to always go with each other to prom. That way he doesn't deal with rejection and I don't deal with the depression of not having fanboys.

Every year, Matt (just because of the fun of it) would do the most creative promposals you could ever imagine, even though we from the start knew how prom was going down. He had dressed as John Travolta in Grease, filled my bedroom with balloons, made a song... He just used the occasion to think out of the box, something that made me very anxious from prom. Still, this year's prom was arriving, and it was weird that Matt still hadn't asked me at all.

We were in english sitting next to each other since we were working on something, and out of nowhere I asked "So, prom date, when are you actually going to ask me out?"

He looked as if I said something really out of place ( I get it, we're in class but... No dude). "I mean, Moby Dick is pretty far from that particular subject isn't it? You know like, in the sea right? Why don't we talk later?" He said almost hiding his face behind the book avoiding my gaze.

I took the book out of his hands and looked at him dead in the eye. "You aren't telling me something. Spill it." I said all like a mean, bossy, know-it-all mother (did I just describe my mom? Sounds like her.)

He sighed and grabbed both of my hands. "Please don't get mad, will you promise me that?" He said nervously.

"Of course I won't, you can tell me anything." Little did he know I was lying and I just needed to hear the juicy details. #sorrynotsorry

Matt was staring everywhere but my face at this point. "Well, I mean... I kind of, could, maybe, already have a prom date. ButPleaseDon'tGetMadILoveYouButSheIsReallyCute."

At hearing that I just snatched my hands out of his. He was breaking our tradition. For a girl. A GIRL THAT WASN'T ME. "WHAT?" I couldn't really say anything else, because at the same time, I was his friend, if he liked a girl and got a date with her... Shouldn't I be happy too? Morality. Such an stupid thing.

"I'm so so so sorry Scar, I just didn't know how to tell you about her, and I knew if I waited more she couldn't have come with me and-"

"Shhh, it's okay big boy, I'm happy for you." I said in a really fake tone of acceptance.

"No you're not." Muttered Matt while hugging (more like asfixiating) me.

"Matt, really, I'm great... And if I weren't it's because you are taking my breath away. Literally."

He let go of me as he understood the hint. "...Sorry."

I just chuckled. But really deep down it made me just ask myself who the heck was this girl, who did he replace this great prom date for? Was she worth it? With who would I go now? I literally had nobody (And no, don't even try to go to Damon, not happening today my children).

--------------------

"Honey, come out in that dress will you?" Asked my mom while we were in the changing room.

The fact that Matt wasn't going with me to prom wouldn't stop me from going. Not now. I mean how couldn't you ask out this beautiful princess of the galaxies? I said as I looked over the mirror my figure inside of a charming red dress that made me look as if I had things that genetics never actually gave me.