Chapter 1

Today was the start of a new change. A change I was ready and willing to embrace.

When I woke from my deep rest, I couldn't help but feel excited and giddy for the day to come. I was going to enjoy my class. I am going to make new friends. And I will start to live a little more.

That excitement died down at the sound of my mums yelling.

"Liliana mio amore, if you are late on your first day of school, you'll be walking there for the rest of the semester child!!"

My mother isn't usually like this. Only before her coffee. Usually, though, she's never really around in the mornings, always working, but when she is around, she will make sure you hear her voice. 

Today is my first day at Northbound Highschool. My mum and I just recently did a cross-country move to the big lights of London. Leaving Brighton was easy. No close friends meant no sad goodbyes or anyone really to remember that I was once there. Like I said, easy. When you move as much as I do, you don't really bother with the friends or boyfriends, instead, I've come to enjoy my own company. Something about London though, tells me we'll be here for awhile.

I lose no time to get out of bed and make my way into the kitchen.

"Buongiorno mio amore, caffè?" my mother casually asks as if she weren't just shrieking at me moments ago.

I hastily raise my fingers to my tempers and rub, "Please mum, no Italian before 9am. You know me, too many syllables before breakfast is bad for the digestion." I give her a quick wink to match her disapproving look. "But yes I will take my coffee black as always."

She looks up with a grin. "Quickly eat, you don't want to be late for your first day of your new school. And please for the love of God, fix your hair, you're starting to look like your uncle Paulo, the caveman look really doesn't work for you. Or him, for that matter."

I pick up stands of my messy shoulder length dark brown hair. "What can I say, I'm a woman of many styles."

She huffed, "You got that right amore. And don't forget you have a 5 o'clock shift at Abbey's Book Cafe tonight, be on time for once. I swear, they would have fired you a while back had I not been working there too."

I rolled my eyes, "It was one time, never have I been late after that."

"That's not what Abbey tells me. Hurry up and get ready, I'll give you a lift to school on my way to work," my mum exclaimed.

I have to give it to mum. She works so hard to get us where we are. We've been moving from city to city ever since the money my dad left behind in his will, ran out. My dad died before I was born, mum never really talked much about him, and so the discussion ended there. From then on, I had only my mum to support our family of two. With no qualifications, it made getting a well-paying job, hard to find. Nonetheless, my mum does have Italian blood in her, which means one thing; she's a strong woman. And so, she's had her share of waitressing, bartending and house-cleaning, but has finally settled at Abby's. Now that I'm eighteen, I've been able to pitch in to help us out too.

I hurry upstairs into the bathroom, wash my face, tame my hair and then head back to my room to choose an outfit. I like to stand out, my  choice of clothing makes it that much easier for me to be me. Contrary to what she says, I don't look like a caveman or dress like one, I prefer when she uses the term quirky. I take a look at myself in the mirror before heading downstairs; I'm wearing a t-shirt which reads the future is female, paired with a black leather jacket, denim jeans and vintage ankle boots. My hair has a slight wave to it and hangs above my shoulders. I frown at myself in the mirror. I'm forgetting something.

Ah. Can't forget a red lip. I quickly apply a matte red lipstick before finishing my look.

Simple yet me. 

I head downstairs, finally ready to start the day and leave the house. That start of a new change.

-------------------------------------------------

a/n:

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter, it's always so difficult to start off! It's a little intro into the characters so far, bare with me the story will take off soon enough. If you like the characters, let me know and leave me a comment :) 

enjoy