Chapter 2

Madison's P.O.V
I peep out of my bedroom window checking for any sign of the black Audi R8 or anyone suspicious. Everything seems completely normal though. I contemplate whether or not I should tell Gigi about the text message and decide its best to just keep it to myself for now, until I know what's actually going on. "Gigi I'll be right back," I excuse myself heading downstairs to search for the letter. I don't have to look long, as it's the first thing that comes into view when I reach the bottom of the stairs. It's laying on the floor in front of my door about 3 meters away. Exhaling I approach the letter and poke it curiously, just making sure it's not a bomb. I carefully pick it up from the floor examining it. Ripping the letter open I pull out a crisp folded up piece of paper. Unfolding the paper and reading each word intently, my palms begin to sweat as I realize what it is. I used to receive the exact same letters when I was living in my old apartment.

They started coming every week in the mail just after my parents passed

They started coming every week in the mail just after my parents passed. Since they were coming with all my usual mail I thought they were being delivered by the mail man. I knew what these letters where before I started getting them, because they were all over social media. These letters are a hoax. Whoever is behind this scandal somehow gets the information of young women, 18 and older that live alone, and sends them these letters offering them summer jobs. The jobs are at some unknown company with a pay rate of 17 dollars per hour. And if that already wasn't sketchy enough the letters come with no return address but a number to call instead. Apparently every woman that has fell for this hoax was never to be seen again. A couple of months before I moved in to my new apartment, the letters just stopped coming. I didn't think much of it, i just assumed that whoever these letters were coming from realized I wasn't going to fall for their trick. I guess I was wrong. "MADI, IM DONE AND IM
HUNGRY!" Gigi screams from upstairs. "Okay gimme a sec," I shout back in response. As I'm putting the letter back in the envelope, I notice there is another small folded up piece of paper inside. I pick it out and unfold it skimming over the sloppy writing. Reciting the letter quietly to myself, I begin to shake and hyperventilate.

Hello Madison,
Ever since that night I knew you belonged to me. I've enjoyed watching you grow from a distance. You've become such a beautiful and intelligent woman. I was hoping to have you last year for your 18th birthday, but you didn't seem to be buying into the letter like every other girl who revives it. I admire you for that... playing hard to get huh? But now you're 19, you being here with me is way overdue. And since you are far too clever for the traditional way (the letter) we are gonna have to do this the hard way... I apologize in advance. I love you and I don't want to hurt you, but it has to be this way so we can finally be together. Just a couple more weeks until the night where we get the chance to cleanse our souls. I'll wait until then to get you, see you soon Madison. Remember I love you.
-J

By the time I'm done reading the letter I'm crying hysterically. "What's wrong?" Gigi asks coming down the steps. "Nothing,I umm.. It's just that time of the month," I lie shoving the letter in my pocket and wiping my teas before turning to face her. "You now how I get," I giggle trying to make my lie seem believable. "Aww babe, cmon lets go get some chocolate, on me and I'll drive," she says grabbing her purse and leading the way to her silver Range Rover.