Through the past that steals your sleep

Disclaimer: NBC own Chicago Fire. I'm just fixing what the writers broke.  

The lyrics belong to The Goo Goo Dolls

Morning comes, and life moves on

And when it changed, you didn't know where you belong

And I'll still catch you when you fall through the past that steals your sleep

And scrawl these words upon your wall, remind you to believe- Goo Goo Dolls, Not Broken

"Mommy!"

Matt blinks awake.

It's been two weeks. They are still working on it. Louie's nightmares are constant.

They have a baby monitor in Louie's room. It's one way they are trying to break the habit of him sleeping in their bed. Gabby has also spent non-shift nights on an air mattress in his room.

He sees the light go on in the hall. It's a bad night. Gabby has taken him to the bathroom, odds are he needs a pajama change. On the bad nights, he wakes up soaked to the skin with sweat.

He hears soft hiccups. Gabby, Louie in her arms has appeared in the doorway. Their boy is handed over while Gabby gets onto her side of the bed. It's one of those nights.

She covers the three of them up. The light goes out. Matt is settling down, ready to try to sleep again.

He feels a slight tug on his sleep shirt. Louie has a hold of it. He's just watching silently.

The three-year-old has fallen into the old habit of his first weeks here. He watches them. Waiting. This time Matt thinks that he's waiting to be left. To lose.

Mary Keyes had told him that he had started to call Andre Daddy a few weeks before the car crash.

In Louie's three years, he's never had a real home or real family. He had them but was taken to a new home anyway. Andre had loved him, but fate had taken him too. Louie's sad eyes seemed to ask: are you leaving, too?

"It's okay, Louie. I'm not going anywhere, Mommy's not going anywhere. You have us." He says gently.

He sees Gabby's arm go around Louie.

"It's okay, Baby," she murmurs in agreement, her voice only meant for this moment and the three of them.

"We're right here."