Seeking the Truth

Asuna found Kirito after emerging from the portal gate. "What was that for?!" Asuna had her hands on her hips. "You have a chance to be part of a guild, even with your beater status. Why would you reject the offer? Don't you know how lucky you are?"

Kirito was caught with his eyes watering and wasn't able to cover it up well. "I can't. I won't... She is better off with Klein and the others." He refused to show his face, but his voice wasn't firm like before.

"Kirito...?" Asuna watched as he walked away from her. She was alone, wondering to herself, what was really going on with Kirito.

"Floor 6, and guess who is the first face, I see?" A voice that sent chills down her spine, came from behind her.

Asuna whipped around to come face to face with the last person on earth, she would want to see. "Sugou?!" Anger built up inside her body.

"That's right, Asuna. I'm here for you. You don't have to solo anymore. We shall form a party."

"Forget it! I will not have anything to do with you!"

"Do you know how hard it was to track you down in this game? I demand that you add me to your friend list. I can find you anywhere that way."

"I will not!" Asuna protested.

"I wish you wouldn't try to resist. You know your father already considers me family. We may as well get married right now. Then by the time we live in the real world again, you will be more prepared for it."

"Forget it! I will never marry you!" Asuna left his side, but he didn't let her get away and wrenched her by the arm.

"Let her go!" Kirito's voice came through in a very threatening manner. "She doesn't belong to you. You can't treat her like an item to be acquired!"

Asuna managed to get free and took Kirito's side. "Leave now! I will never be with you!"

"You won't always have your protector, Asuna. You won't be able to get away from me, that easily." Suguo left them for now.

Kirito relaxed a bit, not sure who that man was nor what he was doing trying to force her to be with him. He turned to Asuna. "Are you alright?" Kirito asked.

"Thank you for doing that." Asuna released a sigh of relief.

"Are you going to be alright on your own? I mean, you heard what he said."

"I'll be fine. It isn't the first time I have had to deal with Sugou and I am sure it won't be the last." Asuna reassured him. "Let me buy you something to eat. It is the very least I can do, for saving me back there."

"Sure." Kirito followed her to a restaurant.

___________________________________

They took a seat and it was clear that he was labelled as the shady character, while Asuna was making a name for herself, given the envious eyes and the silent chatter that seemed to circulate around them, while they sat in an uncomfortable silence.

"Why do you insist on being solo? I hope you don't mind me asking." Asuna took her attention away from the menu screen.

"Things are more simple that way." Kirito wasn't about to explain his reasons to her.

"Is it because you have been labelled the 'beater'?"

"That... but party members only get in the way." Kirito leaned his face against his knuckles.

"You think you're better off alone?" Asuna sneered. "What are you going to do when you get into a jam and don't have any help?"

"That would be unlikely..." Kirito knew that if that did happen, he would just disappear. No one would stop him from fading from existence. He didn't realize that thought made him even more depressed now, than it had before. Maybe it was because there were people he couldn't bear to lose. "... but I'll be careful."