What Matters Most

The door reappeared and Kirito's eyes landed on Silica. 'She is still alive! Thank goodness!' Kirito sprung to his feet and rushed over to Silica. "Are you alright?!" He stopped just before he was close enough to tackle her.

"I'm fine." Silica looked down at Tika and then the fear and panic left her body.

"Please don't scare me like that." Kirito pleaded.

"I didn't mean to. Honest." Silica waved her hands apologetically.

Kirito released a sigh after realizing that she was alright. "I think we should return to town. We shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves."

Silica nodded and the two of them returned to town.

The entire trip back, Kirito was deep in thought. 'I never realized how easy it was for me to care so much about other people. I haven't spent much time with her, but she has already become very important to me. No matter how hard I try to avoid people, I still find myself getting attached. If it weren't for our lives depending on it, I would really consider staying here. Even so, they can't live like this. Unlike me, they do have people in the real world to care. Every day out here in the virtual, is another day where more lives are lost and can never be returned. There isn't much I can do about it either. Just earlier today, I thought Silica was going to die. I couldn't stop it, no matter what I tried. It is just a reminder that they are in control. We are just the pieces in their game.'

"Kirito?" Silica's voice brought him back to her attention.

"I'm sorry. Were you trying to talk to me? I was a bit distracted."

"No... It's okay. You have a lot on your mind. We all do..." Silica stopped for a moment. "Why do you help me? I am a weaker player... I just slow you down."

"I will tell you, but you have to promise you won't laugh at me." Kirito shyly answered.

"I won't." Silica agreed.

"You are kind of like a little sister..." Kirito admitted.

Silica at first stifled a laugh, but then she felt a bit miserable. "... just a sister...?" She mumbled under her breath.

"Hm?"

Silica shook her head wildly in embarrassment. "I am flattered-really!" She flustered. Even though, she felt incredibly disappointed to hear it.

Kirito smiled and led her towards the inn, but Silica and her new friend, caught some other players' attention.

"How did you get a monster to follow you?! Aww, it is so cute! What is your trick?! Teach me! I wanna pet too!" Silica was flooded with questions and surrounded by new adoration.

"I just tamed it. Anyone can learn the skill." Silica answered them.

Kirito watched closely as they got more excited.

"Would you join my party?!" They persisted.

Kirito was a bit sad to think Silica would leave, but maybe it would be for the best.

"Sorry, I already have a party." Silica turned down the invite.

The crowd scoped out Silica's partner, Kirito. "Wait! It's the Black Swordsman! He is from the assault team!"

Silica was shocked as she quickly sought out confirmation from Kirito. "You're from the assault team?"

"I am." Kirito answered simply.

Silica took a deep breath, but she knew what she needed to do. "Then go and win this game for us."

"But..." Kirito hesitated.