Chapter Three

Caspian

The fairy had gotten everyone up earlier in the morning.

We woke to her cooking stew. The scent filled the cavern, making even the yeti budge with enthusiasm. The men quickly lined up and Taryn made his move to assist.

"Here's your ration. You didn't get any food last night either." She came towards me with a bowl in her hands. Aisling was no longer wearing her chest plate. It was a simple linen tunic that contrasted from the intricate armor.

"You didn't eat either." I pushed the bowl towards her.

"There is more left in the cauldron." She said it simply. After a few moments of silently debating, I slowly reached out for the wooden bowl. My eyes stayed on her and I watched as an easy smile graced her face.

I thought she would walk away after I began bringing the bowl to my lips yet Aisling stayed. Her bright eyes bounced with life as she waited for something.

"You have such beautiful eyes." The words left her mouth in a hurry. The men nearest quieted, trying to eavesdrop on the conversation.

I heard many things in my lifetime about my eyes and yet I never had someone call them beautiful. These eyes caused so much fear and to hear that someone thought they were beautiful caused a horrible feeling to settle in my gut. My mouth remained the bowl and a scowl fell to my face.

"Yet they hold so much sadness."

I finished the stew and passed the faerie her bowl before I walked away into a part of the cave where the light didn't reach completely.

"There is always supper and if not then, there is always tomorrow." I froze a bit, confused at what the woman was speaking about. I remained silent in the darkness.

"I didn't mean to offend you earlier." I turned from the wall to stare at her small form. "Both times."