Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

There are risks, and there are risks.

Did that make sense?

Either way, falling asleep at Liam's apartment block was a risk I was not willing to take again.

Settling down in a cozy beanbag I had taken from the reading corner, I looked around the spacious library storage room. It was surprisingly empty and without clutter, but unsurprisingly quiet. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think the officials have even hired a librarian. No one went to the local library nowadays. It was a shame, really, as there were so many books worth reading; so many stories and adventures yet to be discovered by our generation through the pages of books.

Lying down, I attempted to fall asleep, but my efforts were in vain. My mind kept being haunted by images of Brianna, brandishing her shiny, sharp sword, and every time I managed to doze off even the tiniest bit, I would wake again, screaming.

After multiple futile attempts at rest, I let my mind wander, and soon found my thoughts drifting towards a particular boy.

Why did he seem so familiar? How did he know so much stuff about me? How had he been able to see through my foolproof lies?

Unable to contain my curious thoughts, I trudged off in search of the computers, and took a good ten minutes trying to turn on the ancient medieval machine. This library was too old for words.

Opening a tab, I typed out "Liam Anderson" on the rickety keyboard, and soon located his Instagram and Twitter accounts. I figured that his Twitter would probably have more information, and clicked into his profile eagerly.

He was quite a mystery to me still, and I wished to learn more about him. To do that, I was at the right place. Introducing social media, a flawless platform for internet stalking.

With an experienced flick of my wrist, I had successfully located all his information in a nutshell. Although he didn't provide detailed descriptions (be cautious on the internet, kids) and he was constantly inactive, I still found out a lot more about him than I used to know. However, it wasn't until further on his timeline that something caught my eye.

Sometimes I still wonder why she left. Today, 12:58 AM

Why am I still so affected...? 16-7-2006

Why does my mother have to be such a cold-hearted cheater? She's had too many flings to count in these past years. 14-2-2004

She left me. What kind of mother abandons her family like that? All because she finally found love in one of her hookups. 14-2-2004

Screw you Jayden Smith. Screw you for taking my mom. You will never be my step-father. 14-2-2004

I halted my scrolling.

Jayden Smith? As in, the legendary Jayden Smith, father of Brianna Smith? The rich, cheating bastard? Could it be? If he did happen to be Liam's step-dad, then it would certainly explain the uncanny similarity between Liam and Brianna's twin sisters...

No. I was jumping to conclusions, trying too hard to find a connection between everything. There were plenty of Jayden Smiths in the world. My life wasn't a story from a book; nothing could possibly be this coincidental...right?