Chapter Eight: Bakura

“Night, Florence,” Marik said, tucking his arm under his pillow. “Thanks.”

I gave a vague noise from my throat, looking to the clock on the bedside table. It was only 9.30.

Propping myself up on one elbow, I reached to turn out the lamp lighting the small room. Even if I wasn’t tired, I’d lie with Marik till I fell asleep.

It wasn’t long before Marik’s breaths deepened, body untensing, causing the bed to creak. At that point my eyes had adjusted to the dark, allowing me to see the silhouette of his bare shoulders rising and falling in synchronisation with his breathing, catching sharply every few minutes. Cautiously, I reached out, gently touching the warm skin of his cheek. Marik didn’t react.

He bore no resemblance to perfection, yet there was something invisible that enchanted me with him. It was a lustful emotion, I knew, born out of first impressions and repeated midriff-exposure. I wanted to kiss him, hold him, have him. While he slept, however, soft, chaste touches were all I could satisfy myself with. Even when he was awake, I didn’t quite dare to go forward with such desires.

I ran one hand down his arm, over the golden bands he constantly wore. Now that I thought of it, his earrings and collar were also gold. He had a gold obsession, didn’t he?

A sudden movement caused my heart to jump, freezing as Marik rolled onto his back. He still seemed asleep, though. I crept in closer, lying down as close as I could without yet touching him. Waiting a beat, I pulled my head up, placing it gently on the other’s shoulder. He laid still through that, breaths not stirring. Without a response, I nestled up against him, tucking the top of my head under his chin. I’d moved here in my sleep, I decided.

Relaxing, I let myself feel sleep fall over me, enveloped by Marik’s soft aroma.