Chapter Eleven: Marik

I pulled my shirt down over my head, studying myself fin the mirror after the fabric had fallen attractively over my torso. I tapped my thumbs gently over the scars under my eyes. Even if I could cover my back, my face whispered with a reminder of the Ishtars’ duty and destiny.

Leaving the washroom, plumes of decadent steam spiralled into the rest of the flat, a grave marker for the hot water. I sat down on the couch, fishing my mobile from between the cushions. My Rod sat on the side table, Horus’ eye gazing blankly over the flat. I turned it away from me.

“Marik?” Bakura lingered at the wall, a vague discomfort permeating his features and posture.

“What’s up, Bakura?” I bounced on the cushion a little, stopping when a spider fled from under the couch.

Ease settled over the male, spreading into his sauntering gait, which carried him to sit beside me. “Ryou wants to go to school.”

“He wants to? School sucks.” I’d had school in the tomb; of course, it’d been different than normal schooling. I only studied a few hours a day, with scrolls by candlelight. I had learned of kings who’d conquered, of the pharaohs who’d succumbed to weakness, of rising and falling legions. . .

“I know.” Bakura snorted, settling close beside m,e, chin resting upon my shoulder to peer at my mobile.

“Frig school!” I launched my Brit-free right arm into the air. “We’re going to go do something fun and rebellious instead!”

“Like what precisely? We could hijack cars or steal candy from babies.”

“Or get fro-yo and kebabs and make fun of people behind their backs! Brilliant, clever and we’ll never be caught!” I typed the best damn fro-yo place in Domino City, clicking the first result which appeared.

“Froyo’s Bail Bonds?” Bakura read from the site. “Why frozen yogurt and not real ice cream, anyway?”

“Fro-yo’s good for you, silly.” I rolled my eyes, going back to the search. “Here’s an actual helpful website, see? They don’t open till ten-thirty though.”

“That’s in an hour,” he said, arm loosely dropping over my shoulder. “Don’t forget.”

“I won’t,” I said, grinning at him. “I promise.”