Chapter Nineteen: Marik

There weren’t many places where you could sit still and simply think in silence. In the tombs, the silence had driven me against insanity. I’d never thought I’d miss it.

Yet Bakura Ryou’s place was a temporary safe-house, filled with silence; a sad silence, but quiet none the less.

Even now, sitting on what furniture hadn’t fit in my car, I could feel lingering softness, meaningless contact that’d burned Bakura’s fingerprints against my skin. He’d looked open, gentle, even, during that time.

It had scared me.

Had he known what I’d been thinking, what I’d tried to say earlier? I shoved my hands into my hair, dried sweat dusting my forehead. It didn’t make sense. Sure, there was mistletoe, but that could be ignored.

Hell, I could still taste his lips. Something tender and wild. It had all mixed in together, going too fast to keep track of. What even was I feeling anymore? Unexplainable desire, maybe? More than friendship.

And what of him? Why me? Did he just kiss me, another male, for no reason? That was against who I knew, though. If he acted, there was a reason, always. He knew everything he did held meaning.

I liked him, maybe he liked me. There could be other reasons, but that was the best one I had. In that moment, it’d been too much to feel his hands becoming fists behind me, his tongue moving in, while thinking it was perhaps only sexual. I had loved that kiss, pressed against Bakura’s warm chest, indulging myself in the thought that maybe this was a mutual interest.

There was one sure way to know, though, and that was to ask him myself.