The Lie I Was

"Yes... Finally... The wings of an Illyrian. Master will be pleased." A deep and hoarse voice sounded from Faith.

That.... That wasn't her. And Illyrian she or rather it said? It gave me a weird feeling. The wings that had just sprouted do it of my back felt like they have been there forever. My wings were instinctively tucked in as I snarled at her.

"Silentō." I heard Cedric mutter in distaste as he rushed in front of me, protecting me from an attack that had ripped through his chest as blood gushed out. The red crimson had dripped down slowly, as if taunting me.

My eyes, I couldn't keep watching them as every drop of red blood dripped down... One by one... 

Then I remembered what was happening

"Cedric!" I unconsciously shouted out. I... felt helpless. I couldn't do anything but stare. Nothing had sunk in yet.

Wings?

Faith?

Cedric?

Blood.

Jaxton.

Death.

Everything happened in a flash as I saw, from the corner of my eye, that Jaxton had already killed her? It seemed so. Whatever that creature it might have been, I saw my sister.

Nothing as it was in reality, it was almost as if Jaxton had killed her, had killed faith. The wings didn't matter. Why would they when my entire family could be in danger now.

I feel to the ground, my legs unable to withstand me any longer. Jaxton didn't catch me like any gentleman would. Instead, he just kneels before me and pulled me to his chest, allowing me to freely let out everything that had been held up inside of me.

 Instead, he just kneels before me and pulled me to his chest, allowing me to freely let out everything that had been held up inside of me

My eyes being red and puffy, was a clear sign that I had been crying my eyes out.

Coming to see Cedric without telling Jaxton? This was going to get me into trouble but my heart could not take the guilt. If only he hadn't protected me, he wouldn't be lying in a hospital bed pale and half dead. The sound of of the machines that he was hooked up with was the only sound that I could hear, together with my steady heartbeat. 

The door swung open to reveal the nurse as her platform heels echoed against the floor. My head hung low as she did as she had to before leaving without even saying a word. Once again, the door swung open, and the heartbeat of someone familiar could be heard. He was breathing heavily, making it easy for me to recognize me without having to see him.

I lifted my head up to meet his eyes, scanning Jaxton's face for a reaction the silence hung in the air like the suspended moment before a falling glass shatters on the ground. I had expected him to shout, scream or to be furious with me, but he did none of those things. Instead he walked towards me and pulled me to his chest.

"Please don't disappear without telling me again. I was so worried Rose. What if the silentō had taken you? I wouldn't have known what to do." He whispered, the agony behind his voice evident. I nodded, not being able to gather my words. I opened my mouth to asked him, about Cedric, but nothing came out. As if he had read my mind, he replied in a soft tone.

"He'll recover. Our healing are faster than humans. He'll be fine in a few hours. The thing just took him by surprise." He knew, that I was going to ask about all this. What I am? What he was? What everybody was. Jaxton, he wanted me to ask him. He understood the look in my eyes.

But that was something that was second to me. I needed to know about Faith and Alice.

"Jaxton I-I can-"

"No." There it was, simple yet brutal. This was something that I would not give in because of a simple 'no'.

"Jaxton, Please. I have to see them. At least let me confirm it with my own eyes. You can keep me here afterwards. I'll never run away again. I'll do everything you tell me to." What else could I do? I just made a promise to the devil. 

"Please..." There was no turning back.

Seeing the desperation on my face must have made him think again.

"I'll go with you." What? Him go with me?

"Okay..." Its not like I had any say. I was either go with him or not to go at all.

"Rose. Listen. We can only be there for a few days. The silentō might attack anytime. I have to be here for my kingdom but I can't let you go by yourself.

At his words, I couldn't help but to feel at ease.

The preparations of the vehicles and everything else was quick and finished in a few hours. Cedric was to stay here while ten guards would accompany us. No matter how I felt there was no need for such protection, I knew that arguing would be of no help once his mind was completely made up.

•••

The ride was a pleasant one to me. Silence had become my new found friend.  It's easy to keep talking to fill the void, but that's not called communication. Often, it's just noise. And who says it's always necessary to talk to communicate?

If everything that had happened was slime whatever I had discovered in my adventure of books, communication was not a problem for whatever they were. 

I let out a sigh, which was noticed by Jaxton,who turned to observe me. Did he forget the fact that he was driving? 

"Jaxton! Please focus on the road and drive properly. You might be able to heal fast if we got into a car crash but I won't." He raised a eyebrow at me. Right. I forgot that I was one of them.

"Keep your eyes on the road." Finally deciding to give the road his undivided attention, all my thoughts ended as I felt my consciousness ebbing away, making me slip into oblivion.

"If only you knew."

~~~

Yes. I finally updated. This chapter kinda really has no development but in commemoration of 1k votes, I just decided to do this chapter. I'll really try my best to update more often but my stupid exams are coming up! ugh but can we get this book to 2k views?

For those people that though I was going to go super in depth about Rose, I guess you just have to wait for the next chapter. *Smirks and backs away slowly*

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT