Chapter 1

The crisp, white snowflakes flew past the dirty window. Every breath I took enlarged the spot of fog on the glass. My thick socks brushed against the train seat as I pulled my knees up to my chest. The black beanie resting against my soft brown curls as a memory of my younger sister Alana. She gave it to me just before I left. Absent-mindedly my cold fingers rubbed against the simple pendent resting on my chest. The silver locket was also a leaving present, this time from my mom. As I watched the swirling snow dance through the air I could feel a single tear fall down my pale cheek. I guess you are confused about right now. Let me inform you...

**Flashback 2 weeks earlier**

I threw my slim body onto our wrinkly couch. My gloved hands found the remote hiding under a cushion and with a click of a button the news reports blared through the speakers. I glanced up from my phone to see a reporter standing outside my dance studio. Apparently, they were interviewing my dance teacher about the World of Dance Competition. The reporter was asking Miss Eileen if she thought any of her dancers would be competing. I saw a hopeful smile begin to form at the corners of her lips before her wrinkled face fell serious again. Her perfectly accented voice flowed through the silent living room as she claimed how wonderful her dancers were. I think she had her doubts, considering it was an international competition but she always said if the teacher didn't believe in her students who would? "Maddie! You've got mail!" I groaned and jumped up from the comfort of the couch. I trudged into the kitchen texting my best friend Ella all the way. I glanced up to see my mothers glaze eyes staring at an envelope resting on the dark wood of our kitchen bench. Her stony face told me that this was a letter that she didn't want us to receive. The crisp cream paper was in perfect condition. The middle of it had my name scrawled across it in curly black writing. My pale fingers reached out and picked it up. I don't know what it was but this envelope scared me. My arm shaked as I flipped the envelope and slowly started to rip it open. I heard my sisters steps as she entered the room but she didn't utter a word. I pulled out the stiff sheet inside. "Read it aloud Maddie." I stared into my mothers unreadable eyes before I started to read.

"Dear Madison,

I am hereby pleased to inform you that you have been chosen to enter the World Of Dance Competition. You shall be ready with everything you shall need for 12 months away from home on the 12th of December at the train station. Your location is confidential and you will not know where you are. The best dancers from all of the world are going to be your competition. Please see the details attached to the next sheet.

Good luck,

Abby Lee Miller,

Head of the WODC.

P.S. Your attendance is not an option."

My mom snatched the sheets from my hand and sat down at the table, looking rather faint. I turned to Alana who to my surprise had tears streaming down her face. "Maddie.." My mother whispered my name before her voice broke off as if it was too painful to speak. I pushed the dreaded letter of the table before I ran off to my room.

**Flashback Ended**

I know this doesn't still make sense. I know your probably thinking 'Why is this competition such a bad thing? It's not like people die or anything. Right?' Wrong. These competitions are life threatening. Dancers die every year. Those who don't die live a life full of misery and drugs in the back streets of their town. There's only one victor. And it's certainly a challenge to come out on top.

** Authors Note**

It took all my self control not to call the competition the Dancer Games.

5 votes, 3 comments for more.